Monday, May 23, 2011

Honey Spice Cookies



I made these cookies for a tea that we were hosting at work. I always volunteer to make cookies whenever we are having special events. So now, not only people I work with in the library know about my baking, the word is starting to spread around the campus. It’s nice that people appreciate the things that I make, as I really enjoy making them.

For the tea I made a couple of varieties of cookies (which I will eventually post!) and I try to do a little more planning if I am bringing multiple items. Plus, it was a tea so I wanted something appropriate. Gooey brownies are tasty, but not what I first think of when having tea! I ended up wanting to make something chocolaty, something with citrus and this cookie with honey. I searched around the web for something with honey and settled on this one, which is like a sugar cookie with honey and spice.

You make these in a saucepan, which is highly unusual for cookies. The dough is super soft and is different from any other dough I have ever worked with. You use just a tiny bit of dough for each cookie as the dough spreads quite a bit while baking. It makes these picture-perfect round cookies, which my colleague actually thought were store bought since they were so perfectly round! They taste a lot like sugar cookies, but I think the honey adds a nice twist in flavor. So if you’re looking for the perfect cookie to serve with tea, this is it.

2-1/2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
3/4 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1/4 cup honey
Additional sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

In a small bowl, combine flour, baking soda, and nutmeg. In a medium saucepan, melt the butter and then cool. Add the sugar and beat well. Add egg and blend well. Stir in honey and dry ingredients, mix until just blended. The dough may be quite soft.

Put additional sugar in a small bowl. Drop the cookie dough by teaspoonfuls into the sugar. Coat the small dough balls in sugar. Place the coated balls on the prepared cookie sheet. The cookies spread a bit, so don’t put them too close together. Bake until lightly golden, 7-8 minutes. Cool on the cookie sheet for several minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

Recipe from Inside the Kaganof Kitchen

1 comment:

Suelle said...

These look beautiful and the recipe sounds very tasty too - I love the added flavours from using honey!