Friday, November 18, 2011

Almond Oat Chocolate Chunk Cookies



I’ve been waiting to make these cookies for a while. I read the recipe online and was so excited for the description of “These are the best cookies ever. Make them now!” It seems like every time I was going to make them, I was missing an ingredient. First I had to buy almond butter since I don’t typically have that at home. I usually have almonds around that I can grind up. Then last week I was going to make them and I was out of oats. Man, I’m never out of oats! So I restocked my oats container and vowed to get these made.

These are a variation of a chocolate chip cookie, which my husband was happy about as he loves chocolate chip cookies and rarely make them. These also have oats and ground almonds, and the addition of almond butter. I’ve never had almond butter but I knew it couldn’t be bad. Now I have a half jar of almond butter to use up and I’m sure it will make some tasty sandwiches.

My cookies don’t look much like the ones that I saw online, but that’s ok. The oats and the almond butter give the cookies a rich brown color. Don’t make these too big as I found that a little bit of dough makes a good-sized cookie. This recipe makes over 4 dozen, which was more than I expected with only ¾ cup flour, but with the oats and ground almonds, it goes a lot further than you think! These are really great and given the number of cookies eaten by my husband as soon as he got home from work, quite addictive!

Almond Oat Chocolate Chunk Cookies

3/4 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup ground almonds
3/4 cup old-fashioned oats
8 tablespoons butter, room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 cup almond butter
8 ounces dark chocolate, roughly chopped

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In another bowl, combine the ground almonds and oats. Set both aside.

In a large mixer bowl, beat the butter, sugar and brown sugar for about 3 minutes. Add in the eggs, one at a time, beating between. Beat in the vanilla extract and almond butter. Stir in the flour mixture and the almond/oat mixture. Fold in the chopped chocolate.

Using a small cookie scoop, scoop the dough onto the prepared baking sheets. Bake for 10 minutes, until slightly browned on the edges. Allow them to cool for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

Recipe from Chocolate and Carrots

No comments: