Thursday, January 12, 2012

Roasted Squash Soup with Sweet Potato and Parsnip



For this round of the recipe swap, we changed things up a bit. Instead of submitting a recipe, the participants submitted their entire blog and then the recipient got to choose the recipe. I’m quite curious what will be selected from my blog! I have my favorites but it’s interesting to see what others like. I received the blog Cheese Curd in Paradise in the swap and there were many good looking recipes to choose from.

I looked through the blog and got some ideas and then I had my husband look and we both had spotted this recipe for squash soup. It contained flavors that we both like. Plus, my husband had received an immersion blender for Christmas and this recipe provided the opportunity to use it. It’s such a fun tool and I recommend picking one up if you are at all interested. They’re a lot cheaper than they used to be.

I tweaked this recipe a bit, and didn’t measure the ingredients very closely. With cooking, you can get away with that! Not measuring while baking is bad news. I substituted butternut squash for the acorn squash as I had one on hand. The originally recipe called for cream, but I just used milk and I don’t think it made any difference. The soup is so thick from all the vegetables; you could also make this vegan if you wanted. I really enjoyed this and it I can wait to make it again. Thanks for the great recipe Ashley!

Roasted Squash Soup with Sweet Potato and Parsnip

1 butternut squash, split and seeded
20 ounces parsnips, peeled and chopped
2 large sweet potatoes
14 ounces chicken broth
1 cup milk
1 cup water
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon curry powder
1/2 teaspoon thyme
Salt and pepper to taste
Sour cream to serve

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place the butternut squash on a foil-lined baking sheet and roast for 40 minutes. After 40 minutes, add the parsnips and continue roasting until both are soft. This could take between one hour and one hour, twenty minutes. Allow the squash and parsnips to cool slightly.

While the squash and parsnips cool, prepare the sweet potatoes. Scrub the potatoes clean and then microwave for 12-14 minutes, until soft.

Remove the squash from its shell and place in a large soup pot. Scoop the sweet potatoes from their skins and add to the pot. Add the parsnips, chicken broth, water, and spices. Heat the soup through and then use an immersion blender to puree soup until smooth. Add the milk and puree again. (You could also puree the soup in a food processor.) Season with salt and pepper.
Serve hot and garnish with sour cream.

Recipe from Cheese Curd in Paradise

1 comment:

Sarah - The Home Cook said...

Yum! This sounds like a great, healthy soup.