Monday, February 6, 2012

Fudgy Nutella Brownies with Cream Cheese Frosting



Sunday was World Nutella Day! I had the best of intention to get these posted on time, but I am a day late. I usually hear about Nutella Day, chocolate cake day, etc. the day of the event and so I always miss out. But this time I planned ahead and got these made, but then our weekend plans changed and I wasn’t able to get everything together. I guarantee you that these are worth the wait.

I made many items with Nutella, if not that then a combination of chocolate and hazelnut. These flavors together have to be my absolute favorite and I find it hard to turn anything down with these flavors. I’ve started to follow a number of Nutella boards on Pinterest, so I was not lacking Nutella recipes. I decided on these bars, because you can’t beat a good brownie. People love brownies and these are extra special.

You make the brownies; drop the Nutella on top and the frost with cream cheese icing. I didn’t swirl in the Nutella, which you certainly could, but this way you get these great pockets of Nutella when you bite into the brownies. If you want super fudgy brownies, bake them a few minutes less. I baked mine for the total time and they are the perfect balance between fudgy and cakey. You can’t really go wrong with Nutella!

4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
3/4 cup butter or margarine
2 cups sugar
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons coffee, optional
1 cup flour
About 2/3 cup Nutella

8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla
3-4 cups powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9” x 13” baking pan with foil, allowing the ends to hang over the edges, and spray foil with cooking spray.

In a large microwaveable bowl (or in the top of a double boiler) combine the bittersweet chocolate and the butter. Microwave for 90 seconds or until butter is melted. Stir until chocolate is completely melted. If required, transfer the mixture to a large bowl. Whisk in the sugar. Add the eggs, vanilla, and coffee; stir to combine. Stir in flour until just combined, do not over mix. Spread in prepared pan.

Using two spoons, dot the top of the batter with Nutella. (I didn’t stir it or swirl it in, but you could if you wanted.)

Bake for 25 to 28 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out almost clean. Do not over bake. Allow to cool before frosting.

Make the frosting: In a large mixer bowl, beat the cream cheese and butter until smooth. Stir in the vanilla. Add the powdered sugar once cup at a time, until the frosting is of spreading consistency. Spread the frosting on the cooled brownies. Once set, grab the foil and remove the brownies from the pan. Cut into bars. Store in the refrigerator.

Recipe from Love Veggies and Yoga

No comments: