Tuesday, February 7, 2012

White Loaves



This is the very first Tuesdays with Dorie recipe with the new book Baking with Julia! The first recipe was selected by Laurie from Slush and Jules from Someone’s in the Kitchen. They chose White Loaves, which is a classic white bread recipe and a great way to start this new group. Don’t forget to check out the posts from all the other Tuesdays with Dorie bakers (all 300 of us!) which are linked off of the Tuesdays with Dorie site.

I don’t bake with yeast that often, mainly because it takes more time. This book has more yeast bread recipes so I’m really looking forward to that. Last fall when my oven died, we replaced the microwave as well. We didn’t just get a normal microwave; we got a microwave/convection oven. It also is a proofing oven! I no longer have to find a warm place for dough to rise in the house. That has always been a problem as my house isn’t that warm typically. The proofing oven takes away all of the stress of making yeast dough.

With the proofing oven, this bread was so easy to put together. It rose beautifully. Although it takes a little longer with the rising time, it was not difficult to make. I was able to do other things while the bread was rising. I made these loaves to go with a soup in the slow cooker, but the soup never cooked all the way through and we ended up eating fresh bread for dinner. It was so good. My loaves looked great. And eating fresh bread for dinner is pretty great. Thanks for picking such a great recipe and I can’t wait for all the recipes to come.

Recipe from Baking with Julia by Dorie Greenspan, pages 81-82

10 comments:

Unknown said...

I think I have oven envy. They look great!

Nichicakes said...

Lucky girl, had no idea they had that sort of thing for a home. Your bread looks fantastic

Unknown said...

Your bread looks great! Now I can't wait to move on to the chocolate tarts. By the time we finish this book we will be quite the bakers I think!

Cindy said...

Glad to be baking with you again. I think this will be a fun book.
This was a fun bread to make, it was just delicious.

Jill said...

It looks wonderful! I'm in the market for a new oven and am hoping to get a proofing feature too.

Rebecca said...

Beautiful loaf! I had no idea they made microwaves with that kind of feature. Sounds awfully useful for winter bread baking!

jane said...

The bread looks great. Also liked the cookies on the top of your blog page. I am always scouting for new cookie recipes !

Cher Rockwell said...

You learning something new every day -I had no idea that they made microwaves like that. Pretty cool.

Karen/Shortbread said...

Now that's my kind of dinner! This was a great kick off to the new group.

Pamela said...

Looks great! With bread this simple, I always wonder why I don't bake it more often. :)