Friday, June 1, 2012

Irresistible Graham Cracker Cookies



I find that recipes that come from manufacturers are usually pretty good (although not always the most inspired ideas). I try to always have graham crackers on hand for different recipes, but sometimes I just end up eating them as a snack. Our kitchen was particularly bereft of tasty snacks recently so I’ve been munching on the graham crackers and I forget how good they can be.

The box has been out on the counter and I kept looking at the recipe on the back of the box. They looked pretty good but I have so many different cookie baking ideas going through my mind that I figured that I’d probably never get around to making them. Well, my husband commented that they looked really good so I just decided to make them and see how they turned out. 

These cookies are a little bit different in assembly: they don’t have eggs or sugar and instead use sweetened condensed milk. I wasn’t sure how that would work but the dough came together very easily. For the mix-ins, you could use whatever you have on hand. I used sliced almonds, coconut and a mix of mini chocolate chips and dark chocolate chunks. I love the dark chocolate chunks mixed with the sweetness of the graham cracker crumbs. These cookies were a nice surprise, especially since they’re just a recipe from the box of generic graham crackers!

1-1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
½ cup flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
½ cup butter, room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups chocolate chips
1 cup nuts
1 cup coconut

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

In a medium bowl, combine the graham cracker crumbs, the flour, and the baking powder. Set aside.

In a large mixer bowl beat the sweetened condensed milk and butter until smooth. Stir in the vanilla and then stir in the graham cracker crumb mixture. Stir in the chips, nuts, and coconut.

Drop by teaspoonfuls onto the prepared baking sheets. Bake for about 12 minutes, until set and lightly browned around the edges. Allow to cool on the baking sheets for a few minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

Recipe from the box of Kroger graham crackers

3 comments:

Eva @ Eva Bakes said...

I've been eyeing this exact recipe for a while too! We always have a box of Kroger brand graham crackers, and I keep saying that I'm going to make them but haven't. I'm glad they turned out well, and I can't wait to try this soon!

Alida said...

I love to snack ongraham crackers too. These cookies sound really good....definitely going to make them soon!

Unknown said...

we also were munching on the graham crackers and my son said "Mom can you make these cookies for me?" So I am in the process of putting them in the oven, we agree the cookies on the back of the box look scrumptious!