Friday, July 20, 2012

Biscoff Oatmeal Cookies


I have some recipes that I see and bookmark them and eventually make them. Others I see right away and make them that day. I had a free afternoon this week and ended up baking a couple of different things. Some things were a success others weren’t! I was looking at a recipe that I had bookmarked and noticed that this one was linked at the bottom of it. It looked so good and so classic that I made it right away.

I really love Biscoff spread, and I love that now I can readily get it at the grocery store. When I first used it in a recipe, I had to search high and low to find it. It really shows how quickly that grocery stores respond to customer demand for new products. If you’ve not yet become familiar with Biscoff spread, it’s based on the spice cookie Biscoff. They take the flavors of the cookie and make it into a peanut butter-like spread. It’s really incredible.

This is a classic oatmeal cookie with the added Biscoff flavors, and it works so well. I always measure peanut butter-like ingredients by weight, since that is so much easier, but I miscalculated and ended up adding more like ¾ of a cup of Biscoff spread, so my cookies were extra Biscoff-y. Surprisingly, that didn’t mess up the cookies. They might look a little plain, but these are absolutely great tasting cookies and when I took them to work, they were gone in no time!


Biscoff Oatmeal Cookies

1 1/2 cups oats
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup Biscoff Spread
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

In a medium bowl, stir together the oats, flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Set aside.

In a large mixer bowl add the butter, Biscoff spread, sugar, and brown sugar and beat on medium speed until smooth and creamy. Add the egg and vanilla and beat until smooth. Reduce the mixer speed to low and add the dry ingredients, beating only until blended. Chill the dough for 30 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

Shape the dough into rounded tablespoons and place them on the baking sheet. Bake for 8-10 minutes, until the cookies are golden and just firm around the edges. Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes and then remove with a spatula onto a cooling rack.


No comments: