Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Pineapple Pound Cake


This time of year it seems like all I want to bake are fresh, fruity things such as this. Chocolate? Not so much when it is warmer out. While I know that the Seattle area is not nearly as hot as the rest of the country has been, we’ve finally had some summer around here. My house gets warm on even the mildest of days, but baking things like this aren’t too bad.

I’ve had this recipe selected for a long time, but I buy a can of crushed pineapple and then I end up using it for something else. This time, the can of crushed pineapple I bought ended up going in the recipe I had intended! Otherwise, this calls for ingredients that you likely have on hand.

I’d call this loaf bread; the recipe calls it a pound cake. I’m sure there is some technical difference but I don’t know what it is. I had heard about recipes that bake starting in a cold oven, but this is the first time I had ever tried it. My new oven heats in 10 minutes, but my old one used to take much longer. So if your oven takes a while to get to temperature, then you might need to add on to the baking time. The batter looked quite curdled while I was mixing it up, but it baked up fine so don’t worry of that happens to you. This is a great little loaf/cake for summer.

Pineapple Pound Cake

6 ounces flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
12 tablespoons butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
3 eggs
2 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/3 cup undrained crushed pineapple
   
1 tablespoon melted butter
1 cup powdered sugar
1-2 tablespoons pineapple juice
1/4 teaspoon vanilla

Butter and flour an 8” x 4” loaf pan. Do not preheat the oven.
In a small bowl, combine the flour, salt and baking powder; set aside. In a large mixer bowl, beat the butter and both types of sugar until light and creamy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating one minute after each addition. Stir in the milk and vanilla, and then add the pineapple. Fold in the flour mixture by hand, using a large spatula.
Pour the batter into the prepared pan and place in a cold oven. Turn the oven on to 325 degrees and bake for 50-60 minutes or until top is browned and a toothpick inserted comes out with moist crumbs. Let cool for 10 minutes in the pan and then remove from the pan and cool completely on a wire rack.
Make the icing: mix together the butter and sugar. Add 1 tablespoon of pineapple juice and stir until smooth. Stir in the vanilla. If icing is still thick, add more pineapple juice. Drizzle the icing over the cooled loaf.
Recipe from Cookie Madness

No comments: