Monday, August 6, 2012

Nectarine Yogurt Muffins



Nothing beats a good muffin and I had a very large nectarine that was quickly getting too ripe. I looked through a couple of my muffin/quick bread cookbooks (yes, I have several) and looked for something that I could make. I figured that the nectarine recipes would be few, but just figured that I could use any recipe that calls for peaches. While they are different, they are similar enough to be interchangeable in a recipe. 

This recipe uses plain yogurt, which I usually have for breakfast every day. I was a little short of the amount needed so I used a combination of yogurt and sour cream. I just needed one large nectarine to get one cup, and I didn’t peel it since the skin on the nectarine is so thin. With the oats in these muffins, it gives them a lovely homey feel. They aren’t too sweet, but when you get a bite of fresh nectarine they are just perfectly lovely. 

Nectarine Yogurt Muffins

1-1/4 cups flour
1 cup oats
¼ cup packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
2 eggs
1 cup plain yogurt
¼ cup honey
¼ cup butter, melted
I teaspoon vanilla
1 cup chopped nectarines

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a 12 cup muffin pan with cooking spray.

In a large bowl, combine flour, oats, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, yogurt, honey, butter and vanilla. Stir the nectarines into the wet mixture. Add the wet ingredients to the flour mixture, and fold with a spatula, just until combined. Do not overmix.

Divide the batter between the 12 muffin cups; cups will be quite full. Bake for 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

Recipe from All the Best Muffins and Quick Breads by Joie Warner

No comments: