Friday, October 19, 2012

Pumpkin White Chocolate Chip Cookies



I usually do my baking in the afternoons, after I get home from work. I get off early enough that I usually have enough time even if the recipe requires refrigeration time, cooling time and that sort of thing. I plan what cookies I am going to make for Friday sometime during the week. But I have mentioned before that I’m not so good at reading the recipes all the way through, and sometimes I miss a step. The cookies I had planned to make required 4 hours of refrigeration. I get home early but not that early, so on to Plan B.

I was instant messaging with my friend at work and I asked her if she had any requests. “Something with white chocolate?” Of course, the other recipes I had planned to make had white chocolate chips! I did a search on Food Gawker and sent her the link and she noted that these sounded good. (And yuck, there was a recipe for lobster pasta with white chocolate. Eww.) These cookies are very seasonal and I love the spices typically paired with pumpkin. These cookies had a high spice to pumpkin ratio.

These come together in a moment, and make quite a few cookies. I think I got 1 cookie short of 5 dozen. It’s quite hard to tell when the cookies are done, as anything with pumpkin puree is going to be really soft. Pumpkin cookies are always soft and cakey, and these are no exception. They aren’t as soft as they could be though, and I like that. The spices are great and the white chocolate chips add little nuggets of sweetness. They look a little plain, but they make up for it in flavor!

Pumpkin White Chocolate Chip Cookies
1 cup butter, softened
2 cups packed brown sugar
1 egg
2 teaspoons vanilla
3/4 cup canned pumpkin puree
3 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/4 teaspoons cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon ginger
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon allspice
12 ounces white chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

In a large mixer bowl, cream together the butter, brown sugar, egg and vanilla. Add the pumpkin and mix well.

In a medium bowl, combine the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda and spices. With the mixer on low, add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and stir just until combined. Stir in the white chocolate chips by hand.
   
Drop the dough into 1-1/2 teaspoon mounds on the prepared baking sheets. Bake for 10-12 minutes until just browned on the edges. Allow to cool for 10 minutes on the baking sheet before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

Recipe from My Gathering Table

2 comments:

Angie said...

These look fantastic. I'm generally not a fan of white chocolate chips, but I'd probably make an exception for these cookies.

Unknown said...

Just made these and they are delicious :-) Thank you!!