Friday, December 28, 2012

Nutella Chunk Cookie Bars



So plain old chocolate chip cookie bars? My husband really loves chocolate chip cookies so it seems like I do try to look for recipes that are similar to chocolate chip cookies that are just a little different. These fit the bill. Yes, they are chocolate chip cookie bars, but you make your own chocolate chunks. And you make them with Nutella. I think I am in heaven.

The idea of making Nutella chocolate chunks is brilliant. Now I’m thinking about other fancy spreads. Could I make Biscoff chunks? What other spreads are out there that I could try? The possibilities are endless. The chunks are really easy to make but take time to set. It worked out great for me as I made the Nutella chunks when I got home and by the time I had made dinner and done other things around the house, they were ready to go. The chunks never get super firm, so try to handle them as little as possible.

You don’t even use a mixer to make the dough, although I think I would do that next time. This dough is so thick it is crazy! I did have to press the dough in the pan, as there was no way that it would really spread with a spatula. I baked them for the entire 30 minutes and they seemed a little soft in the middle but I didn’t want to over bake them. These are so great: gooey cookie bars with the wonderful flavor of Nutella. My chunks got a little melty while baking, but I just think that makes things taste better!

Nutella Chunk Cookie Bars

6.5 ounces Nutella
4 tablespoons butter

2 cups + 2 tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
12 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled slightly
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups Nutella chunks

Make the Nutella chunks: line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a microwaveable bowl, combine the Nutella and butter. Heat on 50% powder for 30 second and then stir. Repeat in 30 second increments until the mixture is smooth. Spread the mixture on the prepared pan in a rectangle, about ¼” thick. Freeze for 2 hours and then cut into small chunks. Place the chunks back in the freezer while you make the cookie dough.

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Spray a 9”x13” baking dish with nonstick cooking spray then line the dish with aluminum foil, leaving an overhang, and spray the foil with nonstick cooking spray.

In a small bowl, stir together the flour, baking soda and salt. In a large bowl, combine the melted butter, brown sugar and sugar, whisk until combined. Add the egg, egg yolk and vanilla and whisk until smooth. Add the flour mixture, and use a rubber spatula to fold in the flour until just combined. Remove the Nutella chunks from the freezer and fold them carefully into the dough. The mixture will be thick.

Spread the batter into the prepared pan.  Bake for 27-30 minutes, until the bars are golden brown. The bars will begin to pull away from the sides of the pan when they're done. Allow the bars to cool in the pan on a wire rack before cutting into squares.

1 comment:

Cindy said...

So many yummy cookies on your blog of late--how does one decide?? Just make all of them I guess!