Friday, January 11, 2013

Brown Sugar Maple Cookies



So after the holidays, with all of the excess, I like to get back to basics. These cookies are ultimately simple, flavored with just brown sugar and maple. I guess these cookies would be most appropriate for the fall, but these flavors work any time.

The original recipe for these cookies gives very specific instructions for making them thick and chewy. One of the points was to make bigger cookies, with this recipe making just 13 cookies. Well, I take these to work and I think smaller cookies work better for sharing with others, so I make smaller cookies and ended up getting 3 dozen cookies. Perhaps they weren’t as thick and chewy, but they were still great. This recipe calls for 2 types of brown sugar, which you may not have. If you only have light brown sugar, just add a tablespoon of molasses. For the flour, I used 2 cups of regular flour and some gluten powder that I use to make “bread-like” flour. I’m not sure I would use up an entire bag of bread flour quick enough, so I use this gluten powder instead. It seems to work!

My cookies came out of the oven looking a bit plain. Averie in the original recipe suggests maybe using a vanilla caramel glaze, but I ended up making a maple glaze. The glaze recipe I used is for a cake, so it was on the thick side, so you had to work quickly before it set too much. My cookies are nice and chewy, despite being on the smaller side. I really like the maple glaze; I think it added a nice sweetness to the cookies. I think I will use that glaze elsewhere I liked it so much!


Brown Sugar Maple Cookies

3/4 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup dark brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
1 egg
2 teaspoons vanilla
3/4 teaspoon maple extract
1 cup bread flour (or regular flour)
1 cup flour
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt

In a large mixer bowl, beat the butter on low speed until smooth, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the brown sugars and beat until creamed and well-combined, about 3 minutes. Add the egg, vanilla, maple extract and beat until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.

Combine the flours, cornstarch, baking soda and salt in a small bowl. Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix until just combined.

Shape the dough into balls, small or large depending on your preference. Place on a plate and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least two hours, up to several days.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

Place the chilled dough on the baking sheets, at least 2 inches apart.  Bake for 10-12 minutes until the cookies are lightly browned around the edges. Allow to cool on the baking sheet for several minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

If desired, top with the maple glaze: in a microwavable bowl combine 2 tablespoons butter and ¼ cup maple syrup. Microwave, in 30 second increments, until melted. Whisk in 1 cup powdered sugar. Drizzle on top of the cooled cookies.

Recipe from Averie Cooks. Glaze recipe from Martha Stewart.

No comments: