Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Pizza with Onion Confit



This week’s Tuesdays with Dorie recipe is Pizza with Onion Confit. The host is Paul of The Boy Can Bake and you can visit his blog to get the recipe for this pizza. This recipe just provides the basics, leaving you to choose to top your pizza with whatever you would like, so make sure you check out all of the variations on the Tuesdays with Dorie blog. I’ve been out of the country for the past three and a half weeks, and this was the first thing I baked once I got home. It was good to get back in the swing of things!

This recipe has two main components: the dough and the onion confit. The dough isn’t that specialized really, but it does take a long time to put together. Make the sponge, make the dough, let it rise. Pizza crust is a fairly simple thing, and I am not sure why this needs to take so long. The onion confit is the real star here, and I really loved that! I topped mine with parmesan and prosciutto, which were fantastic. I know a lot of other bakers topped theirs with goat cheese, which is something that I am looking forward to trying.

The onion confit does take some time, but it is really simple. Just have it cook on the stove on low for an hour, stir it occasionally and you are good. I think I might try to get my onions sliced even thinner next time, but they were fine the way they were. I don’t have a pizza stone of any form so I cooked mine on a baking sheet sprinkled with cornmeal. That worked just fine, even without preheating or anything. I really liked this recipe, and I look forward to using the onion topping again for another recipe.

Recipe from Baking with Julia by Dorie Greenspan, page 159

4 comments:

Have Apron....Will Bake said...

This was my first time making a sponge for the dough. I've never had to do that before. I thought it was an extra step to make it longer to do.
It was good, but I've made other doughs I've liked just as well and didn't require an extra step.
Do try goat cheese. It is wonderful on pizza.

gfcelebration said...

We also loved this recipe. It is always fun trying something new.

Cathleen | My Culinary Mission said...

This is a tasty recipe - love the confit. I can eat it all day!

Cher Rockwell said...

Glad this was a hit. The confit was a pleasant surprise.