Monday, March 25, 2013

Nutella Swirl Coffee Cake



Oh, how I love Nutella. Since I am currently on sabbatical, and I have been spending my time visiting libraries and working on a couple of online classes. I haven’t been taking baked goods to work nearly as frequently, and I really wanted to bake something for my friends there. I thought a coffee cake would be just the right thing, and this one with Nutella sounded perfect. 

Now I’ll be honest, I used way more than the ½ cup Nutella called for in the original recipe. I didn’t measure it, but I would guess it was nearly a cup I used. You just can’t swirl such a small amount of Nutella! I didn’t read the recipe carefully and I ended up swirling the batter just at the end. It still turned out great, just a little less swirl-y.

The one challenge with coffee cakes is that they can be dry. The yogurt in the batter really helps, as do the extra generous Nutella swirls. Check the cake at the shortest baking time, too, because nothing makes a cake drier than over baking. I look this to work and it was very well received, no surprise really!


Nutella Swirl Coffee Cake
¾ cup butter, room temperature
1-1/2 cups sugar
1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla
3 eggs
3 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
12 ounces plain yogurt
½ to 1 cup Nutella

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a large Bundt pan.

In a large mixer bowl, cream the butter and sugar. Add the vanilla and eggs; beat until light. In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.

With the mixer on low, add 1/3 of the flour mixture and half of the yogurt. Mix for a moment and then add an additional 1/3 of the flour mixture and the remaining yogurt. Mix for another moment and add the last of the flour mixture. Mix until all of the flour is incorporated. 

Warm the Nutella slightly to make it easier to work with. Spread 1/3 of the batter in the pan, and top with 1/3 of the Nutella. Swirl with a knife. Repeat with another 1/3 of the batter and Nutella; swirl again. Add the last of the batter and Nutella; swirl.

Bake 45-55 minutes until a cake tester inserted in the cake comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Remove from the pan and allow to cool completely on a wire rack.  

Recipe from Sugarcrafter

No comments: