Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Cheesy Biscuit Bread



While I seem to live in the world of chain restaurants, there are a few chains that we don’t have locally. One of those is Red Lobster. There are locations north and south of where we live, so I guess if you are desperate you can still go visit. Last time we were there was with my husband’s dad. I’m not the biggest fan of fish, but I do really like their biscuits. They are fantastic! But I don’t think that I will venture such a long way to have tasty biscuits.

Especially when you can make something similar at home! This recipe came from my husband’s aunt, and I figured it would pair nicely with soup I was making for dinner. I followed the recipe, but in writing up this blog post, I realize that I had left out the egg, but the bread turned out perfectly. I wasn’t sure about the cayenne pepper, as I don’t like spicy things that much, but I’m glad I kept it in as it adds a lot to the flavor.

The bread will taste differently depending on what type of cheddar you use. I used an aged English cheddar, which is quite a bit different than what Red Lobster uses I’m sure. This bread is fantastic, and the loaf did not last very long after it was cut. The cheese flavor comes through loud and clear and the pepper and cayenne add just a hint of spiciness. This was easy to make and I’m sure I will be making this again.

Cheesy Biscuit Bread
3 cups flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
4 ounces cheddar cheese, cut in 1/4” cubes
1-1/4 cups milk
¾ cup sour cream
3 tablespoons butter, melted
1 egg

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9” x 5” loaf pan with cooking spray.

In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, cayenne, and pepper. Add the cheese cubes and stir gently, making sure they are covered with flour.

In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk, sour cream, butter, and egg. Add the liquid mixture to the flour mixture and fold in with a spatula. The batter will be lumpy.

Spread the batter in the prepared pan; smooth the top. Bake for 45-50 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool in the pan for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack. Cool one hour before slicing.

Recipe from my husband’s aunt. You can also find the recipe lots of places on the Internet like here and here.

No comments: