Friday, April 12, 2013

Lemon Lime Crinkles




Ah, these cookies just scream spring, don’t they? We’ve had a couple of nice spring days so far, but then back to rainy! We even had a freak day of snow a couple of weeks ago. It hardly ever snows in Seattle! None the less, the daffodils are blooming and I guess it is spring, no matter what the weather.

Lemon and lime are great flavors for spring, and the addition of sprinkles makes them even brighter. I only had multicolor nonpareils, and I had the crazy idea of sorting through them so I could top the cookies with just white, yellow, and green nonpareils. Wow, these things are so tiny and after about 30 minutes I’d only sorted enough nonpareils for 6 cookies. Nonpareils are tricky to work with! Did you know those crazy things bounce?

The dough for these cookies is soft and on the sticky side. After they baked, some of the cookies were round and puffy and others were flat. I don’t really know how they could turn out so differently! The cookies are slightly crisp around the edges, but soft in the middle. I think I would maybe add more lemon zest because I think that flavor could be more pronounced. I do like the ones with the green and yellow sprinkles more, but they all do taste the same. I think I will have to check out the store around St. Patrick’s Day next year and see if I can find green and yellow sprinkles!


Lemon Lime Crinkles
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 egg
Zest of one lemon
Zest of one lime
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups flour
Colored sprinkles/nonpareils

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

 In a large mixer bowl, beat the butter until creamy.  Add the sugar, baking soda and cream of tartar.  Beat until combined.  Stir in the egg, lemon and lime zest, and vanilla. With the mixer running on low, add the flour. Stir until just combined.

Put the sprinkles in a small bowl. Shape the dough into 1 inch balls.  Dip the tops of the dough balls in the sprinkles. Place on the prepared baking sheets.

Bake for 9 to 11 minutes or just until the edges start to brown.  Cool on a wire rack.

Recipe from Better Homes and Gardens, via Just Baked by Me

1 comment:

bkazoo said...

cant' wait to try these. Just the flavors I'm been wanting!