Friday, April 5, 2013

Toblerone Cookies



My husband loves chocolate chip cookies so I’m often on the lookout for interesting variations to try. I came across this recipe for cookies with chopped up Toblerone bars and knew I would make it right away. I went to the store and even found Toblerone bars on sale; I guess pretty much all candy is on sale around Easter. These cookies are nice in that it takes just a few minutes to mix up the dough and then it needs to refrigerate overnight. Bake cookies whenever you want! (Not good for quick cookie fixes though.)

This recipe calls for flour and bread flour, which makes for a chewy cookie. I don’t normally keep bread flour on hand, as I don’t figure I will use it up quick enough. I do try to keep some gluten powder/flour on hand and add a little bit of that to “make” my own bread flour. I got the gluten powder at the grocery store in the natural foods section. They have it in bulk so I can buy just a little bit. You can also buy it online, but in a much larger quantity.

This makes a petite batch of cookies, about 30 total. Make sure that you chop of the Toblerone bars fairly small as it is hard to shape the dough into balls in you have huge hunks of candy bar. I couldn’t decide how long to bake these to make them just right. I baked one batch at 10 minutes and they were still not fully baked on top. That batch was quite gooey when cooled. I did another batch at about 11 minutes and they were golden, but not as gooey. So depending on how gooey you like your cookies, change the baking time! 

Toblerone Cookies
2/3 cup flour
2/3 cup bread flour
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
6 tablespoons brown sugar
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg
2 3.25-ounce Toblerone bars, chopped

In a small bowl, combine the flour, bread flour, cornstarch, baking soda, and salt. In a large mixer bowl beat the butter and sugars until creamy. Add vanilla and egg; beat until combined. With the mixer running on low, add the flour mixture. Do not over beat. Stir in the chopped Toblerone bars by hand.

Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight (or up to three days).

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.  

Shape the dough into 1-inch balls and place on the prepared baking sheets.  Bake for 10-12 minutes, until barely golden. Cool on the baking sheets for several minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

Recipe from Tutti Dolci

No comments: