Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Rustic Potato Loaves



This week’s Tuesdays with Dorie recipe is Rustic Potato Loaves. Dawn of Simply Sweet is the host this week and you can get the recipe on her blog. I was excited to make this recipe as I had never made potato bread before, but I do buy it at the store. I had good luck with this recipe and I expect many of the other Tuesdays with Dorie bakers did too. Make sure you check out the links from the other bakers at the Tuesdays with Dorie site .

Unlike most of the other bread recipes in this cookbook, this bread is quick to make (well, for a yeast bread anyway). I was able to put it together one afternoon. I made some muffins during the cooling and rising time, so it probably took a little longer than it needed to. I think waiting for the potatoes to boil and then cool took the longest! 

I made the dough in my new more powerful mixer, and I took the manufacturer’s advice to only beat the dough on the lower setting. I, like others, was sure this would never come together, but it did. It doesn’t rise much but it came out of the oven and looked beautiful. I don’t have a baking stone, so I just baked the bread on a preheated baking sheet. The loaves look and taste great. I love the sweetness of potato bread. My only disappointment is that my cat, who LOVES potato bread, doesn’t seem to like the version I made. Oh well, I guess I can’t take it personally.

Recipe from Baking with Julia by Dorie Greenspan, page 138

7 comments:

Katrina said...

Great looking loaf of bread!

Anonymous said...

Less for the cat, more for the humans?

Have Apron....Will Bake said...

Lovely looking loaf. It really was a quick recipe, for bread. I like that it came together so fast. I can't wait to make it again.

Cindy said...

Some how the first Monday came and went. I want to make this, I nominated this loaf. I will make it soon. It looks yummy--good job.

Cathleen | My Culinary Mission said...

Nice looking loaf! This was an easy recipe for a yeast bread. Don't take your cat's snub personally - they can be finicky at times. ;)

Anonymous said...

It's best that the cat doesn't like this - it's too good to share!

TeaLady said...

Lovely loaf. Loved how easy and delicious this bread was.