Friday, October 11, 2013

Cookie Dough Brownies



I planned to make these brownies last week but that just didn’t happen. I don’t know about you, but I go through these phases when I plan what I am going to bake and then I end up making a completely different variety of things. Oh well. Baking for me is enjoyment and I should bake what I want to, right? So I knew I had everything on hand to make this and this week the stars aligned and I made them!

I’ve been back at work full time for about 4 weeks (after a 6 month sabbatical and a light summer schedule) and this week I finally feel like I’ve hit my stride. I’m finally readjusting to my early wake up time and I’m not so tired. Things are getting done at work. When I get home, I am fairly organized and I even got the house decorated for fall. It feels really good!

These brownies aren’t too hard to put together, but it’s a little hard to tell when they are done. As they contain a lot of sugar, the brownies form a top sugary crust so they look done but underneath the brownies can be quite undone. Mine tested fine so I figured I was good. (I like gooey brownies anyway.) The topping looks exactly like cookie dough, but it doesn’t contain uncooked eggs or any unsafe ingredients. I would like the brownie part to have a richer chocolate flavor, but I think the cookie dough frosting is really spot on. I enjoyed these a lot.

Cookie Dough Brownies
1 cup butter, melted
1 cup sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
4 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
2 cups flour

½ cup butter, room temperature
¾ cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1-1/4 cup flour
½ teaspoon Salt
5 tablespoons milk
1 cup mini chocolate chips

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.  Line a 9” x 13” pan with foil and spray the foil with nonstick spray.

In a large mixer bowl, combine the butter, sugar, and brown sugar. Mix on medium until completely combined. Add the eggs and vanilla and mix again on medium until incorporated. In a small bowl combine the cocoa powder, baking powder, salt, and flour. With the mixer running on low, add the flour mixture and stir just until combined.  Spread the batter evenly in the prepared pan.

Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the brownies comes out clean (or almost clean if you like fudgy brownies). Cool completely before frosting. 

Make the cookie dough frosting: in a large mixer bowl combine the butter and brown sugar. Mix on medium speed until light; add the vanilla. Add the flour and salt stir on low until combined.  Add the milk and then beat on medium-high until fluffy. Reduce the speed to low and stir in the mini chocolate chips.

Remove the brownies from the pan and peel away the foil. Place on a cutting board and top with the frosting. Cut into squares.

Recipe from The Hub of our Home

No comments: