Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Plum Hazelnut Frangipane Tart



We recently were wandering around a neighboring town on the weekend. It’s was a horribly rainy and windy day. It was also Saturday which means the farmer’s market was running. My husband and I felt so bad for the vendors who were stuck out there in the cold and rain. There were very few customers and we just happened to walk by on our way elsewhere. One vendor gave my husband a pluot and we decided to buy a couple. I knew I could make something great.

I did some searching and found this plum frangipane tart to make. I did make two substitutions: I used the pluots instead of plums, but these pluots looked exactly like plums to me. I also was out of almonds so I used hazelnuts. By definition, frangipane includes almonds, so I’m calling this hazelnut frangipane. The original recipe also included a recipe for pastry, too, but I just used some I had on hand. Feel free to use whatever pastry you like.

This recipe didn’t say what size tart pan to use. It said to roll out the pastry to fit the pan. Ok, well, I wanted to use my rectangular pan which is about 8” x 11” (it’s 20 x 29 centimeters). A 9” tart pan has a smaller area, so you might not need to use all of the filling. I wasn’t sure how much filling I was supposed to use as there wasn’t a pan size listed, and I have a filling I used more than the original recipe. The recipe said to bake the tart for 20-25 minutes, but I baked mine about 45 minutes before it was golden brown (I actually lost track of time, as I kept adding 5 minutes, then 5 more minutes…) None the less, this tart turned out great. It looks and tastes fantastic, and I love the added sweetness that the hazelnuts bring.

Plum Hazelnut Frangipane Tart
Pastry for a one crust pie
11 tablespoons butter, room temperature
5-1/3 ounces sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs and 1 egg yolk
5-1/3 ounces ground hazelnuts
1-3/4 ounces flour
3-4 plums, thinly sliced

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Have a baking sheet ready.

Roll the pastry about 1/8” thick and line your tart pan with the pastry. I used a 8” x 11” tart pan; you could also use a 9” round tart pan. Set the tart pan on the baking sheet.

In a large mixer bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light, about 4 minutes. Stir in the vanilla. Add the eggs and beat until combined. With the mixer running on low, add the ground hazelnuts and flour. Spread the hazelnut mixture (frangipane) in the pastry-lined tart pan; top with the sliced plums.

Bake until the frangipane is golden brown, about 40 minutes. Cool on a wire rack before serving.

Recipe from Simply Delicious

No comments: