Friday, October 25, 2013

Ginger Sandwich Cookies with Apple Butter Filling



I love ginger cookies! Sandwiching great cookies together with apple butter filling? How great! Apple butter is an interesting ingredient. I think it is more common in other parts of the country. I don’t ever remember seeing it around when I was growing up. I was talking about this recipe with my dad, and he said his mom used to make and can lots of apple butter. I first became familiar with apple butter with a cookie recipe that used it in the dough. It tastes great; it tastes a lot like fall!

I doubled this recipe, as I usually take about 2 dozen cookies to work and I didn’t think it would make too many since they only had 1-1/2 cups flour.  I knew that these cookies would be thin, but boy, they are really thin! I even cut the butter a little bit to help some, so unlike me. The cookies are so soft when they come out of the oven; I was a little worried how they would ever work as a sandwich cookie. They do firm up a little, but they are still a thin pliable cookie. This recipe doubled made about 40 cookies/20 sandwiches.

I was most excited about this filling, and I had to work to get it thick enough to work. I added the amount of powdered sugar it called for, then doubled it, then added some more. It needed to be somewhat thick or it would just ooze out the sides. It finally got to a workable consistency, thank goodness. Sandwiched together, these cookies are very soft. The ginger cookie has a strong flavor, and I like the sweet/spicy balance that the apple butter filling adds.

Ginger Sandwich Cookies with Apple Butter Filling
1-1/2 cups flour
1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1-1/2 teaspoons ginger
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
10 tablespoons butter, room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1/4 cup molasses

2 tablespoons butter, room temperature
2 cups powdered sugar (or more)
1/2 cup apple butter

Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

Make the cookies: In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt; set aside. In a large mixer bowl, beat the butter, sugar, and brown sugar until creamy. Add the egg and molasses and beat on high for 3 minutes, until light. With the mixer on low, gradually add the flour mixture. Stir until combined. If desire, refrigerate the dough for 30 minutes.

Scoop small rounds of dough on the prepared baking sheets and shape into 1-inch balls. (They tend to spread, so don’t place them too close together).  

Bake for 8-10 minutes, until browned along the edges. They will puff while baking but flatten as they cool.  

Make the filling: In a large mixer bowl, combine the butter, powdered sugar, and apple butter. Mix on medium until smooth. Place a small amount of filling on one cookie and sandwich with another.

The cookies will keep for a few days, but the filling will soften the cookies as they sit.

Recipe from A Baker’s House

No comments: