Wednesday, December 11, 2013

12 Days of Cookies Day 6: Cranberry Pistachio Cookies




The Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap 2013This year, I decided to participate in the Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap! Today’s the day to reveal our recipes. I had a lot of fun participating and I was thrilled to get three different types of cookies in return. Thanks to Rose at Rose Bakes , Kelley at The Culinary Enthusiast , and Lou at Lou & Esi for sending me such wonderful cookies.
I sent cookies to Monica at De Lisha’s Recipes , Sarah at Frankly Entertaining, and Lisa at Clawson Live . I chose these Cranberry Pistachio cookies. I hoped that they would ship well and remain fresh, and I hope they did. I know I had set some aside in a plastic bag at home and they remained fresh and soft for a really long time. The original inspiration for this cookie used a sugar cookie mix, but I just found a recipe for chewy sugar cookies in my trusty King Arthur Flour Cookie Companion. It worked great; I just reduced the flour a bit to compensate for the added pudding mix. My dough was light green and I did add a little food coloring to brighten it up a bit.
Green cookies do look a little weird, but it’s festive! I love the flavors in these. My aunt used to make pistachio bars at Christmas so I always connect pistachio with the holidays. These don’t take long to make and stay fresh for quite a while, so they are a wonderful choice if you want to get some of your baking done in advance.

Cranberry Pistachio Cookies
¾ cup butter, room temperature
¾ cup sugar
½ cup packed brown sugar
¼ cup light corn syrup
2 teaspoons vanilla
1-1/2 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1 egg
2 cups flour
1 box instant pistachio pudding mix (4 serving size)
1 cup dry roasted salted pistachio nuts, chopped
1/2 cup dried cranberries, chopped
Green food coloring
Sugar

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

In a large mixer bowl, beat together the butter, sugar, brown sugar, corn syrup, vanilla, baking powder, baking soda, salt and egg. Stir until well combined. Add the flour and pudding mix and stir until combined. By hand stir in the pistachios and chopped dried cranberries. Add food coloring if you’d like the dough to be a brighter shade of green.

Shape the dough into 1-1/2 inch balls and roll in sugar. Place on the prepared baking sheets.

Bake for about 8-10 minutes, until the edges of the cookies are lightly browned. Allow to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.


Inspired by The Girl Who Ate Everything . Cookie recipe from King Arthur Flour Cookie Companion

 

1 comment:

franklyentertaining said...

Nicole, these cookies were absolutely delicious, and they were definitely still fresh! They didn't last long at my house! Thanks so much!