Monday, December 9, 2013

12 Days of Cookies Day 5: Chocolate Peppermint Cookies



I plan all of my Christmas baking fairly far in advance, but I know that inevitably there will be one or two changes that happen right in the moment. This is one recipe that I hadn’t initially planned to bake. I came across it and it looked great. I noticed that it called for ½ cup of Andes Peppermint Crunch chips and I knew I had a half package in the cupboard so I decided to give them a try. Chocolate and peppermint is such a Christmas classic!

This cookie is basically a chocolate chocolate chip cookie with the peppermint baking chips. My husband always wants me to bake chocolate chip cookies so I hoped this would be something that he would like. When I looked at the original recipe, I noticed that sugar was included in the directions but it didn’t list how much sugar to use in the ingredient list. I looked at a few other recipes on the site and it looked like 1 cup sugar was the right amount so that’s what I used.

For a holiday cookie that you need to put together quickly, this is the one for you. You do have to chill the dough but just for a couple of minutes so it isn’t too bad. If you’re not familiar with the Peppermint Crunch chips, they are a white chocolate with peppermint candy combination and they’re not too hard to find in the store this time of year. These look and taste great, although mine are a touch dry. Maybe I baked them a little too long? It doesn’t matter, just pair them with some hot chocolate and you are in for a holiday treat.

Chocolate Peppermint Cookies
1-1/2 cups flour
¼ cup cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons cornstarch
½ cup butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup Andes Peppermint Crunch Baking Chips

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking soda, and cornstarch; set aside. In a large mixer bowl, combine the butter and sugar. Beat on medium until light. Add the egg and vanilla and stir to combine. With the mixer running on low, gradually add the flour mixture, stirring until the dough comes together. By hand stir in the chocolate chips and Peppermint crunch baking chips. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

Drop the dough onto the prepared baking sheet, using about ½ tablespoon per cookie. Bake for 9-10 minutes, until set. Cookies may look a little under baked, but they will be fine once cooled. Allow to cool on the baking sheets for several minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

Recipe from Gal on a Mission

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Nicole!!!! Thanks so much for the Cranberry Pistachio cookies! It's always so fun to get a package in the mail, and even more fun to have something tasty inside. I have to admit my daughter and I ate almost all of them all before we got home from the post office. We are suckers for pistachio. Thanks again, and Merry Christmas!!