Monday, December 16, 2013

12 Days of Cookies Day 8: Red Velvet Crinkle Cookies



How festive are these cookies! I have made a couple different types of crinkles before and they are popular. I saw these red velvet ones and knew they would be great. I made the dough ahead and let it sit in the refrigerator until ready to use, which was very convenient. I’ve been thinking that I would have all this free time once school was out for the quarter. What was I thinking? I’ve had hardly any time at all, but I have been out doing fun things. 

Normally I would suggest a crinkle cookie for cookie baking with kids, as they can easily form round balls of dough and who doesn’t love working with powdered sugar. But these cookies have so much red food coloring in them that you need to be careful. I used powdered food coloring and I swear that I kept finding little bits of red all over the kitchen. I think I finally got it cleaned up, but man, you have to be careful. These cookies are great fresh out of the oven and for a day or so afterwards, but then get hard. So just keep the dough in the refrigerator and bake up the cookies as needed!

Red Velvet Crinkle Cookies
3 cups flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder
2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup butter, room temperature
1 1/3 cups sugar
3 eggs
1 tablespoon milk
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 teaspoon lemon juice
5 teaspoon red food coloring
1 cup white chocolate chips
1 cup powdered sugar

In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt; set aside. In a large mixer bowl, beat the butter and sugar on medium until fluffy. Beat in the eggs, 1 at a time, beating after each addition. Add the milk, vanilla, lemon juice and red food coloring and stir until incorporated. With mixer running on low, gradually add the flour mixture and mix just until combined. Stir in white chocolate chips. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours or longer.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats. 

Shape the dough into 1-1/2” balls and roll in the powdered sugar; place on the prepared baking sheets. Bake for 12-15 minutes, until set. Allow to cool on the baking sheets for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack. 

Recipe from Cooking Classy

No comments: