Friday, January 2, 2015

Milk Chocolate Chip Hazelnut Cookies



My husband loves chocolate chip cookies, and so does the person who I got in the holiday cookie exchange. I wanted to make chocolate chip cookies but needed to figure out a way to make them special. When I first started baking, way back when I was in school, I remember that I used to make milk chocolate chip cookies with slivered almonds that turned out really well. I like hazelnuts so much that I decided I would give the milk chocolate chip cookie a try, but add hazelnuts instead of almonds.

I used a mixture of milk and semi-sweet chips, as all milk chocolate chips can be too sweet. I halved the hazelnuts as they are awfully large. I used the “Big Fat Chocolate Chip Cookie” recipe from All Recipes that I have used before with good success. These baked up well, except for the last batch which got a little too dark. Maybe my dough had gotten too warm? These are a wonderful classic cookie, and I enjoyed being able to add a couple of variations to the flavor.

Milk Chocolate Chip Hazelnut Cookies
2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 egg
1 egg yolk
¾ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
¾ cup milk chocolate chips
½ cup hazelnuts, halved

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

In a small bowl stir together the flour, baking soda and salt; set aside. In a large mixer bowl, cream together the melted butter, brown sugar and sugar until well blended. Beat in the vanilla, egg, and egg yolk until light and creamy. Stir in the flour mixture and mix until just blended. Stir in the chocolate chips and hazelnuts by hand using a spatula. Drop cookie dough by heaping tablespoons onto the prepared cookie sheets. Cookies should be about 3 inches apart.

Bake for 13-15 minutes, or until the edges are lightly toasted. Cool on baking sheets for a few minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool completely.

Recipe from All Recipes

No comments: