Friday, January 9, 2015

Toffee Crunch Chocolate Cookies



It’s the New Year and so many people are cooking and baking healthy dishes. Well, I don’t believe in New Year’s resolutions so I will just continue to bake tasty things! I’m sure cookies could be made healthier and not taste horrible, but I know my cookies are going to taste good. If you just eat one really good cookie, that’s moderation, right? 

I had come across this recipe on Pinterest, and it caught my eye. I had looked at the recipe but it called for a really specific ingredient: toffee brownie brittle. I thought I would never find that, so I just let it go. The next day I went grocery shopping and the store had a rack of the exact product that I needed, so I figured that I would give these cookies a try. The brownie brittle by itself is very tasty, and I’m glad this recipe didn’t use all of the package! They taste a bit like a plain Oreo with toffee and salt added in. They have a great crunch and wonderful chocolate flavor.

These cookies can be made in one bowl, but I used a saucepan and a bowl for ease in mixing. I used the chocolate toffee bits that I had in the cupboard. I shop at two stores and one carries the chocolate toffee bits and one carries the plain toffee bits. Either work in this recipe. These cookies were quick to put together and they baked up nicely. I worried they might be thin, since the dough is fairly soft, but they turned out great. They are super chocolate-y and I love the toffee flavor. If you can find the brownie brittle, I would absolutely recommend giving these cookies a try. 

Toffee Crunch Chocolate Cookies
1/2 cup butter
4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, roughly chopped
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1 cup flour
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup toffee bits
3/4 cup crumbled toffee crunch brownie brittle 

Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

In a small saucepan, melt the butter and chocolate over low heat, stirring until smooth. Remove from the heat and transfer to a medium mixing bowl. With a spatula, stir in the sugar and brown sugar. Allow to cool for 10 minutes.

Add the eggs, and stir the mixture with a spatula until smooth. Add the flour and stir until incorporated. Add the chocolate chips, toffee, and brownie brittle and stir until the mixture is fully combined. 

Scoop the dough into mounds on the prepared cookie sheet using a medium cookie scoop. Bake for 10-11 minutes, until just set. The cookies will continue to cook and set as they cool, so you might want to remove the cookies from the oven before fully baked. 

Cool the cookies on the baking sheets for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

No comments: