Friday, May 29, 2015

Rainbow Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars



What says festive more than sprinkles? Today at work, in addition to enjoying these cookies, we are celebrating everyone with a May birthday. I’ve brought cupcakes as you have to have cake for birthday, but I also wanted to bring a festive cookie. These are fairly simple, a chocolate chip cookie bar with sprinkles, but I think they are super fun. 

These come together quickly, in fact I was able to whip these together while the cupcakes I were in the oven. The only tricky part is spreading them in the pan, as the dough is super sticky. I tried spreading with a spatula and that didn’t work at all. You really have to use your hands here, either greased hands or slightly damp ones. 

Mine took a little longer than the recommended 25 minutes to bake all the way through, and even with adding more time I feel like the bars are just a tiny bit under baked. Under baked is better than over baked, so that’s ok. The cut very easily, but it probably helped that it was 80 degrees in my kitchen. I stored my bars in the refrigerator, but only because my house is so warm right now. My husband had one and said “chocolate chip cookies!” Yes, they’re not that different from chocolate chip cookies, but sometimes it’s ok to go with a twist on a classic.

Rainbow Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
1 cup butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
 1 cup packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla
2-1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
¾ cup rainbow sprinkles
1 cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9” x 13” baking pan with aluminum foil, allowing the edges to overhang. Spray the foil with nonstick cooking spray.

In a large mixer bowl, beat the butter, sugar, and brown sugar on medium until light. Add the eggs, one at a time, and the vanilla, again beating on medium. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. With the mixer on low, gradually add the flour mixture. Stir in the sprinkles and chocolate chips with a spatula.

Spread the dough into the prepared pan. Spread the dough evenly with lightly greased hands.
Bake for 25-30 minutes until the edges start to pull away from the pan and a thin knife inserted into the bars comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.

Lift the bars from the pan and peel away the foil. Cut into bars.

Recipe from Baked by Rachel

No comments: