Friday, June 5, 2015

Brown Butter Praline Pecan Cinnamon Chip Cookies



I saw these over on Peabody’s blog and I thought to myself, “Yep I need to make those!” It’s a brown sugar cookie, with browned butter, candied pecans, and cinnamon chips. That is quite a number of flavors, but I think they work together very well. I went to Trader Joes and found the candied pecans and figured I was set. I usually have cinnamon chips on hand, and I should have checked those as I ended up only having 4 ounces. Thankfully my husband picked some up for me on the way home from work.

I’m always a little cautious with browned butter, and I could probably brown mine a little more. But it can be about 2 seconds between beautifully browned butter and burnt butter. This batch seemed particularly foamy while I was heating it, which was weird. Stirring the butter seemed to make it worse, so just swirling the pan from time to time was ok. You want to stir/swirl a bit, otherwise it will burn in spots.

Yes, these cookies do bake at 360 degrees, which is unusual. I found these to be quite sensitive to time and oven temperature. The ones that I took out at exactly 12 minutes were perfect. Those that went just a tiny bit longer, like when I was in the living room doing something, got noticeably darker. Those later batches were also baked on slightly warm baking sheets, so maybe that was a factor. (They had cooled at least 12 minutes, so they weren’t that warm!) These cookies are crisp on the outside and soft inside. I love the crunch of the candied pecans, which is perfect with cinnamon.

Brown Butter Praline Pecan Cinnamon Chip Cookies
1 cup butter
2 ¼ cups packed brown sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoon vanilla
3 1/2 cup flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
8 ounces cinnamon chips
6 ounces candied pecans, chopped

Preheat oven to 360 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

Brown the butter: place the butter in a small saucepan. Place the pan on low, heating until the butter is melted. Continue cooking on medium low, swirling the pan occasionally, until the butter browns and smells nutty. Transfer the browned butter into a mixer bowl and allow to cool for 10 minutes.

Add the brown sugar to the bowl and mix on medium until combined. The mixture will look something like wet sand. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating on medium for a minute before each addition. Stir in the vanilla.

In a small bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt. With the mixer running on low, gradually add the flour mixture. Just before the flour is incorporated, stop the mixer and add the cinnamon chips and candied pecans. Mix on low just to combine. Shape the dough into 1-1/2” balls and place on the prepared baking sheets.

Bake for 12 minutes. The cookies may look slightly under baked, but they will continue cooking and firm up as they cool. Allow to cool on the baking sheets for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

No comments: