Friday, July 17, 2015

Cherry Almond Refrigerator Cookies


This summer I have been doing small batch baking, and refrigerator cookies are great when you don’t want to make a ton of cookies. Most refrigerator cookies make two logs of dough, and you can refrigerate or freeze the dough for quite a long time. For most people, having some extra cookie dough on hand is a great thing. For me, since I like to try new recipes all of the time, I can just make a half batch and then I’ll move on to something else.

This recipe was described as a Christmas cookie, and I guess cherries and almonds are a festive combination. I think of cherries in the summer though. The original recipe called for candied cherries, which are really hard to find in the store this time of year. I used well drained maraschino cherries, which worked fine. The only difference was that as you stirred the cherries in to the dough, the dough turned a tiny bit pink.

Like I said, I made a half batch, but that still made 30 cookies. Do make sure that the cherries are chopped finely; otherwise they won’t slice cleanly. You can cut these are thin or as thick as you want. I used ¼” as a guide, but my cookies were probably a bit thicker. I love anything with almond extract, and these are no exception. I also adore maraschino cherries, in all their unnatural glory. Paired together, these cookies can’t be beat!

Cherry Almond Refrigerator Cookies
½ cup sliced almonds
1 cup butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon almond extract
2 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup chopped maraschino cherries

Finely chop the almonds in a food processor; set aside. In a large mixer bowl, beat the butter, sugar, and brown sugar on medium until light. Add the egg and almond extract and beat again until combined. With the mixer running on low, add the flour, baking powder, and salt. Add the chopped almonds and cherries and stir with a spatula to combine.

Divide the dough into two halves; shape each half of dough into an 8-inch log. Wrap each dough log in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

Slice the dough into ¼” slices and place on the prepared baking sheets. Bake for 8-10 minutes, until lightly browned along the edges. Allow to cool on the baking sheets for several minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

Recipe from Betty Crocker

No comments: