Friday, July 10, 2015

Coconut Oil Chocolate Chip Cookies



I was cleaning my kitchen not too long ago and I was trying to get some stuff moved off of the main counter. One of the things sitting there was a jar of coconut oil, which I had on hand when I made a vegan cake for my coworker. I know that there are millions of uses for coconut oil, but I forget that I have it. I decided to search and see what I could find. I found these chocolate chip cookies with coconut oil, and since my husband loves chocolate chip cookies, I thought these were perfect.

These aren’t too different from a regular chocolate chip cookie, just the coconut oil is different. I find coconut oil a bit tricky to work with, as it becomes liquid at a low temperature (77 degrees). When I made the cake, I used coconut oil in the frosting and it just wouldn’t stay in place because even at room temperature the frosting was starting to melt. The cake and frosting tasted great, but didn’t look the best.

I struggled a bit with these cookies. My house is so warm, and it hasn’t been below 80 degrees or so in weeks. My coconut oil was liquid, and I hoped that would still work. I made the dough, and it was super crumbly, didn’t hold together at all. I refrigerated it and hoped for the best. It was rock hard after refrigeration, so I had to let it sit out for a while. In the end, the cookies, didn’t turn out perfectly shaped and maybe kind of lumpy. Still, they taste very good, and the coconut oil adds to these cookies. Perhaps I should try them again once the house isn’t so hot!


Coconut Oil Chocolate Chip Cookies
1½ cups flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
½ cup coconut oil, room temperature
½ cup packed brown sugar
¼ cup sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup chocolate chips

Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl; set aside. In a large mixer bowl, beat the coconut oil, brown sugar and sugar until incorporated. Add the egg and vanilla and stir to combine. With the mixer running on low, gradually add the flour mixture. Add the chocolate chips and stir on low to combine. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

Shape the dough into 1-1/4” balls and place on the prepared baking sheets.

Bake for 8-10 minutes, until golden around the edges. Cool completely on a wire rack.

Recipe from Alida’s Kitchen


No comments: