Friday, July 31, 2015

Soft Lemon Coconut Cookies



When I think about cookies, it’s really easy to think about fall cookies: cinnamon cookies, gingersnaps, things with apple. Summer is a little harder. When I think of summer, well, I think of ice cream and you can’t really make ice cream cookies. Maybe ice cream cookie sandwiches, but that’s a hassle. I guess lemon and coconut do fit the bill for a summer cookie. The flavors make me think of a sunny place, so I guess that works!

This recipe makes a very small batch, which is great, but I hadn’t realized that when I decided to make them this week. I just thought the flavors sounded like a winning combination, and I was very interested in the use of cream cheese in the dough. My batch made just over a dozen cookies, but I did make them larger than I usually make cookies. I used my larger cookie scoop, and each cookie used about 1-1/2 tablespoons of dough. I also realized that I was supposed to sprinkle the coconut on top of the cookies, instead of adding it to the dough. Oops. I figured it would work out, although maybe look a little less fancy.

These baked up fairly well, although I was a bit worried that they’d brown too much on the bottom before baking all the way through. They’re ok though. They didn’t spread or flatten while baking much, and I flattened the second tray of cookies. Both turned out, so it’s up to your preference. The cookies have a cake-like texture, and the combination of cream cheese, lemon, almond, and white chocolate is irresistible.


Soft Lemon Coconut Cookies
3 tablespoons butter, room temperature
3 tablespoons cream cheese, room temperature
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon lemon extract
Zest from one large lemon
1 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup white chocolate chips
1/3 cup sliced toasted almonds
1/3 cup shredded coconut

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

In a large mixer bowl, add the butter, cream cheese, sugar, and brown sugar. Beat on medium until light. Add the egg, vanilla, lemon extract, and lemon zest and stir to incorporate. Add the flour, baking soda, and salt and stir on low until the dough comes together. With a spatula, stir in the white chocolate chips, almonds, and coconut.

Using a medium cookie scoop, drop the dough onto the prepared cookie sheet. Allow 2” between each cookie.

Bake for 12-16 minutes (depending on the size of your cookies), until lightly brown along the edges. Allow to cool on the baking sheets for about 5 minutes and then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.

Recipe from One Sweet Mess

No comments: