Friday, August 7, 2015

Almond Joy Cookies



I came across these cookies and they just looked great. I looked at the recipe and realized that they were a healthy, clean eating cookie. I don’t normally look for healthy recipes but I decided to give this one a try. The ingredients were fairly standard, or happened to be things I had on hand. The main substitution I made was using honey for the agave, as I had that on hand. Surprisingly, I had unsweetened coconut. 

The original recipe mentioned how important it is to accurately measuring the oats and flour. The recipe gave measure by weight, which I actually prefer as it’s so much more precise. I mixed these up and they sure smelled wonderful. The dough seemed a little sticky, but that’s not unexpected given that the dough had ½ cup of honey. 

I got 14 cookies out of the dough, which was just one short of the original yield. They baked up well, although it’s a little hard to tell when they are baked through as the cookies are soft and on the sticky side. They look good, although I didn’t sprinkle the chocolate on top, so you can’t see the chocolate as much. I think these taste quite good, although I think they could use more chocolate. They have a bit of a fruity taste, maybe from the honey? I’m not sure. Overall, I think these are very tasty, and healthier too!

Almond Joy Cookies
100 grams oats
90 grams whole wheat flour
1 ½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp salt
2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
1 egg, room temperature
¾ tsp almond extract
½ cup agave or honey
2 tablespoons shredded unsweetened coconut
2 tablespoons finely chopped dark chocolate (or mini chips)

In a large bowl, combine the oats, flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt; stir with a whisk. In a separate small bowl, combine the coconut oil, egg, and almond extract. Stir the agave/honey into the liquid ingredients. Add the liquid ingredients to the oat/flour mixture and stir with a spatula to combine. Fold in the coconut and about half of the chocolate. 

Refrigerate the dough for at least 30 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat.

Using a medium cookie scoop, scoop the dough onto the prepared baking sheet. You’ll have 14-15 cookies. Flatted each cookie slightly with the palm of your hand and sprinkle the cookies with the remaining chocolate. 

Bake for 13-15 minutes, until the cookies start to brown along the edges. Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheets for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. 

No comments: