Friday, August 14, 2015

Dark Chocolate Macadamia Butter Bars



My good friend goes on trips and sometimes brings me back ingredients to use in baking. One place she likes to visit is Hawaii, and she typically brings me back macadamia nuts from her travels to Hawaii. Normally, macadamias are expensive so recipes typically call for a fairly small amount. I had lots of macadamias, so I went searching for just the right recipe.

I found this recipe, which originally called for pistachios. You take the nuts, process them in the food processor until you have nut butter, then you use the nut butter in the bars. I figured this would work just fine with macadamias! I processed them up and the bars looked great. These bars are basically a nut butter shortbread, as the dough doesn’t contain eggs or leavening.

These bars are thick, and it’s a bit difficult to tell when they are baked through. I didn’t want them to be dry so I took them out of the oven when they were starting to brown along the edges. The firmed up while cooling, but they are on the crumbly side, which isn’t uncommon for shortbread. They are very rich, so I would cut them fairly small!

Dark Chocolate Macadamia Butter Bars
2 cups macadamia nuts
½ cup butter, room temperature
½ cup sugar
½ cup brown sugar
1¾ cup flour
½ teaspoon salt
12 ounces dark chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line an 8” square baking dish with foil, then spray the foil with non-stick cooking spray.

Place the macadamia nuts into a food processor. Process for several minutes until smooth and creamy.

 In a large mixer bowl, beat the macadamia butter, butter, sugar and brown sugar on medium until light and fluffy. Add flour and salt and mix on low speed until incorporated. Stir in dark chocolate chips with a spatula. Press dough into the prepared pan.

Bake for 20-25 minutes until the bars start to brown along the edges. The bars may still seem soft in the center. Allow the bars to cool completely in the pan. Lift the bars from the pan and peel away the foil. Cut into small squares.  

Recipe from  Kevin and Amanda

No comments: