Friday, April 22, 2016

Soft and Chewy S'more Cookies




When I pick cookies each week, I try to think about what I can do that’s different. I made bars last week, before that something with peanut butter, and a British Easter cookie. I pin a lot of recipes, but I seem to go in spurts where I pin a bunch of bars cookies, so I feel like I am stuck in a rut. I had pinned this recipe a few weeks ago, and it just seemed the right recipe to make with the summer like weather we’ve had in the Seattle area the past week!

I like s’mores, and in cookies they can’t be beat. Marshmallows are kind of tricky to bake with, as they have a tendency to melt all over the place. This recipe tries to tackle that, by baking to cookies 80% of the way through, then topping with the marshmallows, and baking the final few minutes. Do bake the cookies once you’ve added the marshmallows for just 2 minutes. 3 minutes was too long I discovered, which is how long the first batch baked.

Based on the amount of these that my husband had eaten, then are really good! No, all kidding aside, these are super tasty. The chocolate chips paired with graham cracker and milk chocolate is such a familiar flavor and instantly takes me back to camping out. I could have chopped the Hershey bars a little smaller, but I kind of really like the bigger chunks of sweet chocolate. I have a feeling that these cookies won’t last very long.

Soft and Chewy S'more Cookies
¾ cup butter, room temperature
½ cup sugar
½ cup packed brown sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 ¼ cups flour
1 cup graham cracker crumbs
¼ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon baking soda
1 ½ cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 Hershey bars, chopped
About 1 cup mini marshmallows

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

In a large mixer bowl, beat the butter, sugar, and brown sugar on medium until creamy. Add the egg and vanilla and beat again on medium until mixed. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, graham cracker crumbs, salt, and baking soda. With the mixer running on low, gradually add the flour mixture, beating until almost fully incorporated. Add the chocolate chips and Hershey bars and turn the mixer on for a moment to mix them in. (Don’t add the marshmallows.)

Scoop the dough by tablespoons onto the prepared baking sheets.

Bake for 9 minutes. Remove the cookies from the oven and top each cookie with 3-4 mini marshmallows. Bake for 2 additional minutes.

Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 5-10 minutes, and then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.

Recipe from Carlsbad Cravings

No comments: