Friday, April 29, 2016

Pecan Sandies



You probably think that since I bake so many cookies, that I don’t buy them at the store very frequently. That’s generally true, but there are some cookies that I just can’t resist. I often come across recipes that are homemade versions of store bought cookies, but those are typically disappointing. (The only exception is my homemade HobNobs , which I humbly think are just as good as the original.)

Pecan Sandies are a cookie that I remember eating when I was a kid, but I’ve not had any in years. I saw this recipe and I remembered that I really liked them and that I should give them a try. It didn’t hurt that this cookie uses ingredients that I had on hand, which is always a bonus. These cookies are similar to shortbread, so they have a thick and crumbly or “sandy” texture. This recipe does use an egg, so they aren’t true shortbread, but they are a close approximation.

The browned butter adds good flavor to these cookies, but gives the dough a different texture. I made the dough and I thought that it seemed too oily, so I decided to refrigerate the dough for a bit. That wasn’t a good idea. The dough got too cold and hard and was very difficult to shape. It was ok after I let it warm up. You use a good amount of dough for each cookie, thus this recipe makes about 30 cookies. Are they the same as the store bought ones? Well, I haven’t had them in a long time, but I’d say they are pretty close!

Pecan Sandies
½ cup butter
½ cup vegetable oil
1 egg
½ cup powdered sugar
½ cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2¼ cups flour
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon cream of tartar
1 cup chopped pecans
Additional sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

Brown the butter: place the butter in a small saucepan. Heat oven medium-low heat until melted. As the butter continues to cook, swirl the pan occasionally. Watch the mixture carefully, cooking until the butter is lightly browned and smells nutty. Be careful not to burn the butter. Transfer the browned butter to a small bowl and all to cool for 10 minutes.

In a large mixer bowl, combine the browned butter, oil, egg, powdered sugar, sugar, and vanilla. Beat on medium until smooth. Add the flour, salt, baking soda, and cream of tartar and beat on low until the dough comes together. Add the pecans and stir again to combine.

Shape the dough into 1-1/4” inch balls and place on the prepared baking sheet. With a fork dipped in sugar, flatten the cookies slightly.

Bake for about 15 minutes, until the cookies are set and are ever so slightly browned on the bottom. Cool completely on a wire rack.

Recipe from Miss in the Kitchen

No comments: