Friday, December 16, 2016

Chocolate Fudge Peppermint Cookies



These are the other peppermint cookies that I made this holiday season. I did a lot of baking early in the month because our library was open late before finals and we served hot drinks and snacks to the students. I made a couple of different types of Christmas cookies that I shared with the students. These cookies stayed fresh for quite a few days, which is convenient if you want to get some baking done before you have a party. These would also ship well, but everything you ship will probably taste like peppermint, so you must be careful!

These cookies use a very different type of peppermint chip. These use a chip version of Andes mints, which are chocolately rather than hard candy. They are very pepperminty, unlike last week’s cookies. These call for a lot of chocolate ( 1 cup milk chocolate chips, 11 ounces of other chocolates, and the chocolate mint chips). With only ½ cup of flour, you know these are going to be very fudgy, and they don’t disappoint. These cookies ended up being one of the favorites I have made this year. Too bad I only had 2 before I sent them to work.

This is a recipe from Peabody, who I trust. I read the comments on the original recipe and some folks said they were really flat. That can happen with a nearly flourless cookie. She suggested chilling the dough a bit. I figured with so much chocolate, you must give it time to cool so I really took my time with these. Let the chocolate cool. Chill the dough before baking. By taking my time these cookies turned out fantastic. I think I have enough of the mint and milk chocolate chips to make another batch, and I can’t wait to make them again!

Chocolate Fudge Peppermint Cookies 
6 tablespoons butter
8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
3 ounces semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
3 eggs
1 cup sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla
½ cup flour
¼ teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
1 cup Andes Peppermint Baking Chips
1 cup milk chocolate chips

In the top of a double boiler over simmering water, melt the butter, bittersweet chocolate, and semisweet chocolate, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat and allow the mixture to cool for 15 minutes.

In a large mixer bowl, beat the eggs and sugar on medium for 3 minutes, until pale yellow in color. Add the vanilla and the cooled chocolate mixture and beat on medium for 2 minutes, until the mixture is glossy. Add the flour, baking powder, and salt, and stir on low until incorporated. Stir in the peppermint chips and milk chocolate chips with a spatula.

Refrigerate the dough for 30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

Scoop the dough onto the prepared baking sheets, using a medium cookie scoop. Allow some room between the cookies as they do spread a little.

Bake for 10-12 minutes, until the cookies begin cracked on top. Do not over bake. Cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes, and then remove them to a wire rack to cool completely.

Recipe from Sweet Recipeas

No comments: