Friday, May 26, 2017

Macadamia Brownie Cookies



My husband and I recently took a trip with my parents to the Washington coast. While it was a rainy weekend, we had a great time and really enjoyed being able to relax. We visited one town and went to their farmer’s market and visited local shops. I think everyone in my family enjoys looking at kitchen stores, so we spent some time in the several kitchen stores. I don’t really need any new kitchen items, but it is fun to look.

I came across this cookbook, Slice & Bake Cookies. I don’t make a lot of slice & bake or refrigerator cookies, but some of the recipes looked interesting. I checked to see if the public library had a copy, and they did! I checked it out and explored the cookbook some more. I decided to try this recipe and it looked very classic. I am excited for the prospect of refrigerator cookies, as I could have some ready in the freezer for when I run out of time to bake cookies (or something turns out poorly).

This recipe was a walnut chocolate cookie, but I had some lovely macadamias on hand. You don’t want them to sit around too long or the nuts get stale. The dough comes together without much trouble. It is a little oily, and honestly, the dough is so soft you can’t shape the dough into logs right away. I suggest you refrigerate the dough some before shaping, shape, refrigerate, and finally roll in the nuts and shape one last time. They ended up being quite large cookies, so I would make a narrower roll next time. These have a strong chocolate flavor, not overwhelmingly sweet. A couple of the cookies broke, but I think that wouldn’t be a problem with smaller cookies. I think I will buy this cookbook, and I’m looking forward to trying more recipes!

Macadamia Brownie Cookies
2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate
½ cup plus 2 tablespoons butter
1-1/4 cups flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1-1/4 cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1-1/3 cups mini chocolate chips
1 cup finely chopped macadamia nuts

In the top of a double boiler, over simmering water, combine the chocolates and butter. Stir until the mixture is smooth. Remove from the heat and allow to cool for 15 minutes.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside. In a large mixer bowl, add the eggs, sugar, and vanilla. Beat on medium until the mixture lightens in color, about 2 minutes. Stop the mixer and add the chocolate mixture. Mix on low until the chocolate is incorporated. Add the flour mixture and stir on low until no white streaks remain. Stir in the mini chocolate chips.

Refrigerate the dough for 15 minutes. Divide the dough into two halves, and shape each half into a log about 2 inches in diameter. The dough will be soft and the logs may not keep their shape. Wrap the logs in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 15 minutes. Unwrap the logs, roll them in the chopped macadamia nuts and then rewrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats. Allow the cookie dough logs to sit at room temperature while the oven heats.

Slice the logs into ½” slices and place on the prepared baking sheets. The cookies will spread as they bake so don’t bake more than 12 cookies at a time.

Bake for 12-14 minutes, until set but still slightly soft inside. Allow to cool on the baking sheets for 10 minutes, before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

Recipe from Slice & Bake Cookies by Elinor Klivans

No comments: