Friday, June 2, 2017

Lemon Lime Crinkle Cookies



I really like lemon cookies, and when I am thinking of something that is more refreshing, I typically turn to lemon. I sometimes bake lemon cookies in the middle of winter, when it is gloomy outside and spring seems forever away. Now that we are having some nice weather, I think I will be baking more with different fruits, and certainly with lemon.

The original recipe was just a lemon cookie. I went to the store to get the last ingredients I needed, and they didn’t have any lemons. I guess that’s what I get for going to Target, as they have a small produce section. Don’t get me wrong, I love Target, but in this case, it wasn’t the best choice. As it was already getting late, I didn’t have time to go to another store. They did have limes, so I figured that I would make lemon lime cookies, with lemon extract paired with lime juice and zest.

These cookies mix up quickly. The dough is quite sticky, and could probably be refrigerated for about 30 minutes to make it easier to work with. Once the dough balls get into the sugar, that takes care of the stickiness, so it wasn’t too bad. My cookies didn’t really crinkle, but they still look ok. These cookies are crisp around the edges and soft in the middle. I like the different flavor of the lime zest with the lemon, so not being able to find lemons turned out just fine.

Lemon Lime Crinkle Cookies
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
10 tablespoons butter, room temperature
1 cup + 2 tablespoons sugar
Zest of one lime
1 egg + 1 yolk
1 1/2 tablespoon lime juice
3/4 teaspoon lemon extract
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
 Yellow food color, if desired
Additional sugar

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt; set aside. In a large mixer bowl, combine the butter, sugar, and lime zest. Beat on medium until light. Add the egg, egg yolk, lime juice, lemon extract, and vanilla. Stir on medium to combine. If desired, add a few drops of yellow food color to enhance the lemony color of the cookies.
With the mixer running on low, gradually mix in the flour mixture. Stir just until combined. Shape the dough into 1-1/4” balls. Place the additional sugar in a medium bowl and roll the dough balls in the sugar. Place on the prepared baking sheets.
Bake for about 10 minutes, until set and barely browned around the edges. Allow the cookies to cool for 5 minutes on the baking sheet before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
Recipe from Cooking Classy

No comments: