Friday, July 27, 2018

Oreo Cream Cheese Crinkles


It’s been so hot here in Seattle, but I really wanted to bake so I just bit the bullet and baked anyway. It was already 80 degrees in the house, and I figured that turning the oven on for about 30 minutes wasn’t going to make that much of a difference. I baked fairly early in the morning, so the sun wasn’t coming into that side of the house, which helped.

I had made bar cookies that used the filling from Oreos, so I had left over Oreo cookies. Oreos without the filling is quite plain, so I went in search of a recipe that used Oreo cookie crumbs. I found that most recipes called for both Oreo crumbs and whole/chopped Oreos. I finally came across this recipe that just used crumbs. I’m sure that the original recipe used whole Oreos to make the crumbs but using just the cookie part worked as well.

The dough for these cookies is very soft and sticky. I decided I would refrigerate the dough for about 15 minutes, while I preheated the oven. I wasn’t in any hurry to turn on that oven! The dough was still sticky, but I scooped the dough balls directly into the Oreo crumbs and then formed them into nicely shaped rounds. This recipe doesn’t yield a ton of cookies, but I made just over 2 dozen cookies. My cookies came out of the oven looking lovely. They are soft and have a great tang from the cream cheese, with the wonderful Oreo cookie flavor. I’m really glad I was able to find this recipe, it turned out wonderfully.

Oreo Cream Cheese Crinkles
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
3 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
1 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup flour
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
1 cup Oreo cookie crumbs (about 10 Oreos)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

In a large mixer bowl, beat the butter and cream cheese on medium until smooth. Add the sugar and vanilla and mix to combine. With the mixer on low, add the flour and stir to combine. Add the chocolate chips and stir on low to incorporate. Refrigerate the mixture for about 15 minutes.

Using a medium scoop, scoop the dough into balls. Thoroughly coat the cookies in Oreo crumbs and place on the prepared baking sheets.

Bake for 13-15 minutes, until set. Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

Recipe from Table for Two

No comments: