Friday, August 3, 2018

No-Bake S'mores Bars



It’s been so hot in this area that it’s time for my annual round of “what can I bake without turning on the oven?” Thankfully, the weather had cooled to more reasonable temperature, but I had picked these cookies to make and figured I would go ahead and make them. The sounded really great and I don’t know the last time I had Golden Grahams cereal. Also, I think my husband wanted a bowl of the cereal, whatever was left after I made these bars.

I think this is just about the shortest ingredient list for a recipe that I have made. They also take no time to put together. Some no-bake cookies have you standing over the stove for a long time, and I honestly don’t know if that really is cooler than just turning on the oven. These came together in about 10 minutes, but they do take some time to cool/set. I used the microwave, but you could certainly melt the butter and marshmallows on the stove. My kitchen was warm, so I ended up putting the bars in the refrigerator overnight to allow them to set completely.

These bars are a variation of rice crispy treats, with a s'mores twist. I think that I would use only 7 cups of cereal, so that the cereal gets really coated with the marshmallow mixture. Since Golden Grahams are so much bigger than rice crispy cereal, it’s harder to press the mixture into your pan. I ended up greasing my hands and pressing down on the mixture, but they still aren’t as compact as a rice crispy treat. I was worried they wouldn’t set and stay together as a cohesive bar, but they were fine in the end. For a simple as these cookies are, they are really great and truly capture the flavors of s'mores.

No-Bake S'mores Bars
1/4 cup butter
10 ounces miniature or large marshmallows
7-8 cups Golden Grahams cereal
1/3 cup milk chocolate chips
1 tablespoon vegetable shortening

Grease a 9” x 13” pan, set aside.

In a large microwaveable bowl, melt the butter by microwaving in 30 second increments. Once the butter is melted, add the marshmallows. Microwave in 30 second increments, stirring frequently, until the marshmallows are melted. Add the Golden Grahams and stir to evenly coat the cereal with the melted marshmallow mixture. Press the mixture firmly into the prepared pan.

In a small microwaveable bowl, combine the chocolate chips and shortening. Microwave for 30 second increments until the mixture is smooth and glossy. Using a fork, drizzle the melted chocolate over the bars. Cool completely before cutting into bars.

No comments: