Friday, August 10, 2018

Twix Slice and Bake Cookies


I really have wanted to bake lately, but it’s been so warm, but I just have to bite the bullet and bake before the house gets too warm. I keep going back and forth about what types of cookies would be best, that wouldn’t take too long to put together. I’ve come up with two main ideas: bar cookies and slice and bake cookies. Bar cookies you can put together and then just one baking in the oven. Slice and bake cookies are convenient, as you can make the dough and then slicing and baking takes not very long. This week I opted for slice and bake cookies.

I looked at different recipes, and I find it so interesting that most of the slice and bake cookie recipes that I come across are marked as Christmas cookies. I think they work so well in the summer because of the short baking time. I found this recipe that uses chopped Twix bars, and Twix bars are very popular at work. I wasn’t sure how the bits of caramel would do during baking, but it wasn’t too bad.

This recipe is from an Aussie blogger, so the measures were both by weight and volume. Weight is actually more accurate, but I have the volume measures here as that’s what most American bakers use. The oven temperature is also odd, 360 degrees, which is 180 degrees centigrade. I cut these fairly thick, which is up to you if you want them thicker or thinner. The dough is very simple-basically shortbread with powdered sugar. The bits of caramel do melt if they are along the edges of the cookie, but you can break the melty bits off once the cookies have cooled. I love the pure butter flavor of the cookies, paired with chocolate and caramel.

Twix Slice and Bake Cookies
1 cup butter, room temperature
1 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
 2-1/4 cups flour
½ teaspoon salt
 1 cup Twix bars, chopped finely

In a large mixer bowl, beat the butter on medium until smooth. Add the powdered sugar and vanilla and mix on medium until combined. With the mixer on low, add the flour and salt. Stir in the chopped Twix bars.

Divide the dough into two halves. Shape each half into a roll, about two inches in diameter. Wrap each roll in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least and hour, preferably several hours or overnight.

Preheat the oven to 360 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

Slice the cookies 1/3 to ½ inch thick and place on the prepared baking sheets.

Bake for about 15 minutes, until set and lightly browned along the edges. Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

Recipe from Sweetest Menu

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Dear Nicole. Thanks for the recipes. My daughter works for Mars, so I can get Twix for Free! Would it be ok if I put them on Pinterest ?