Friday, March 15, 2019

Lemon Cream Cheese Cookies


While I know the calendar is approaching spring, it sure doesn’t seem like it. My car has a chime that goes off if it is cold outside and the roads could be treacherous. I think that chime has gone off every single day since the beginning of February. While it is getting closer and closer to more normal temperatures, it is still quite chilly in the morning when I go to work. I am by no means a sun worshipper, but I am looking forward to some nicer weather.

This is a bit of a strange week at work, with our college going through Accreditation and the library having extended hours before finals. When I left work, I asked my friend if they wanted lemon or chocolate, and she picked chocolate. I was ready to make either cookie, but the lemon ones did sound great, like a hint of spring is a cold winter.

I thought that lemon and cream cheese would be an interesting combination. They do have to chill for an hour or so, but overall, they don’t take that long to make. For this recipe, since the zest is a part of the glaze, make sure that the zest is finely chopped. I use a microplane to zest, and for this recipe I gave it a chop to make sure there were no large pieces. These cookies have a lovely lemon flavor, and gives me hope that winter will soon end!

Lemon Cream Cheese Cookies
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon lemon extract
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1-3/4 cups flour

1-1/2 cups powdered sugar
3 tablespoons lemon juice
Zest of 1 lemon

In a large mixer bowl, beat the butter and cream cheese on medium until smooth. Add the sugar and beat for 1 minute on medium, until light. Add the egg, vanilla, and lemon extract and stir to combine. With the mixer running on low, gradually add the baking powder and flour, mixing until combined. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for an hour.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

Scoop the dough onto the prepared baking sheets. Flatten the cookies slightly with the bottom of a glass dipped in sugar.

Bake for 9-11 minutes, very lightly golden along the edges. Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheets for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

Once the cookies are cool, make the glaze. In a small bowl whisk together the powdered sugar, lemon juice and zest. Spoon the glaze on top of the cookies and spread to cover. Allow the glaze to harden before serving.

Recipe from Call Me PMC

No comments: