Friday, July 12, 2019

Boston Cream Pie Cookie Cups


I’ve had a little more time to bake this summer, and I’ve really been enjoying it! My work hours are a lot less in the summer, and since I work different days, I don’t typically bring cookies on Friday. I don’t think that folks mind too much, but I still try to bring in baked goods from time to time. Sometimes I send cookies with my husband, especially if it is late in the week and I make a small batch.

I thought that this recipe made a few more, but it only is supposed to yield 18 cookies. I prefer to use the mini muffin pan for cookies, but this uses a regular muffin pan, which immediately makes the cookies larger. I didn’t do a good job of balancing the amount of pastry cream for each cookie, and I didn’t have enough for 18 cookies. I think that was my fault, but it’s good to keep that in mind. I burned my custard a bit, since I hadn’t made it in a long time, so that certainly didn’t help.

These cookies do have three steps, but they bake quickly so it didn’t feel like they took that much longer. Pastry cream can be finicky, so keep that in mind. The cookies baked with no issue and recreating the indentations when the cookies are warm helps a lot. Since I ran out of pastry cream, some of my cups are just filled with chocolate ganache. You would otherwise have too much ganache, but I used it up in my case. These cookies are so cute, and they look great! I wish they would have made a few more, but even the ones with ganache are tasty.

Boston Cream Pie Cookie Cups
2 egg yolks
6 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 cup milk
1 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon vanilla

3/4 cups butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt

6 oz chocolate chips
1 tablespoon light corn syrup
7 tablespoons heavy whipping cream

Make the pastry cream: in a medium bowl, add the egg yolks and whisk to combine, set aside. In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch, and milk. Place the pan over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture bubbles and thickens slightly. Lower the temperature to medium and allow to bubble for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and whisk a small amount of the sugar/milk mixture into the egg yolks to temper the eggs. Transfer the egg yolk mixture to the saucepan and allow to bubble on the heat for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the butter and vanilla. Transfer the mixture to a bowl and cover with plastic wrap, allowing the wrap to touch the custard. Refrigerate until cold.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 18-indentation regular-sized muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray.

In a large mixer bowl, beat the butter and sugar until light. Add the egg and vanilla and stir on medium until combined. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, cornstarch, and salt. With the mixer running on low, gradually add the flour mixture. Stir just until the dough comes together. Divide the dough between the 18-indentation muffin pan. Spread the dough on the bottom and 2/3 up the sides of the pans.

Bake for 10-12 minutes, until lightly browned along the edges. While the cookies are still warm, press the indentations in the cookies to reform the cups. Allow to cool and then transfer the cookies to a wire rack.

While the cookies are cooling, make the ganache. Place the chocolate chips in a bowl. Microwave the light corn syrup and whipping cream until almost boiling. Pour the heavy cream mixture over the chocolate and allow it to set for 4 minutes. After 4 minutes, stir the mixture until evenly colored and glossy. Refrigerate until cool enough to hold its shape.

Assemble the cookies: fill the indentation in each cookie cup with pastry cream. Pipe the cooled ganache on top of the pastry cream. Store in the refrigerator.

Recipe from Life, Love, and Sugar

No comments: