Friday, August 2, 2019

Coconut Sandwich Cookies


I never know what to bake in the summer. This summer hasn’t been too hot, which I really appreciate. We’ve had a couple of warm days and I have made a no-bake recipe or two, but it’s still been ok in the house to bake. With me working limited hours in the summer, I don’t want to make a large batch of anything. I have made a lot of bar cookies in 9” pans, but I also thought about making sandwich cookies, as those recipes don’t typically yield a large batch.

I had pinned this recipe quite a long time ago, and it doesn’t call for any strange ingredients. I checked to make sure that I had coconut extract, and I didn’t, which surprised me. I could have sworn I had some, but who knows. I picked up some new extract, the only coconut extract that the store had (despite having seriously 20 different types of vanilla extract). These were also quick to make, as but the time the cookies are out of the oven and you make the frosting, they are ready to be made into sandwiches.

Like all sandwich cookie recipes, this only makes about 15 sandwiches. I had more frosting than I needed, but I prefer it that way. Sandwich cookies aren’t usually large, but when you put two cookies together and add frosting, you have a very substantial cookie. The original recipe didn’t call for coconut in the cookie dough, so I added a little extract to the dough. I think that was the right call, as these cookies have a wonderful coconut flavor. I realize that not everyone likes coconut, but if you do, this is a terrific recipe!

Coconut Sandwich Cookies
2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1/4 cup sugar
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ teaspoon coconut extract
1 egg

1/4 cup butter, room temperature
2 cups powdered sugar
1-2 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon coconut extract
1 cup shredded coconut

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt; set aside. In a large mixer bowl, combine the butter, sugar, and brown sugar. Mix on medium until light. Add the extracts and the egg and stir again on medium to combine. With the mixer running on low, gradually add the flour mixture. Shape the dough into 1-inch balls and place on the prepared baking sheets.

Bake for 8-10 minutes, until lightly browned. While the cookies are warm, flatten slightly with a metal spatula. Cool completely.

Make the frosting: in a mixer bowl beat the butter until smooth. Gradually add the powdered sugar, mixing until crumbly. Add 1 tablespoon milk and coconut extract, mixing on medium until smooth. Stir in the coconut. If the mixture is too dry to sandwich cookies together, add additional milk, 1 teaspoon at a time.

Sandwich the cookies together with the coconut frosting.

Recipe from Crazy for Crust

No comments: