Friday, October 18, 2019

Maple Brown Sugar Pecan Cookies


When we travel, I sometimes try to pick up baking ingredients that I can later use in recipes. At the end of the summer, my husband and I traveled to Victoria, Canada. We visit either Victoria or Vancouver about once a year, so we feel comfortable with both cities. When we travel, we will frequently wander through grocery stores. It’s amazing how different a store just a couple of hours away can be! While I was disappointed that I was unable to find poutine potato chips, but the store had different grades of maple syrup on sale. They have recently reassessed how maple syrup is graded, but there still isn’t that much choice in the states. I was thrilled to be able to find dark amber maple syrup on the shelf so I picked it up.

When you have a can of maple syrup and look for recipes, you can find quite a few. For me, the challenge is to figure out what to make, as I didn’t have an endless supply. I have a fall baking magazine, but I was shocked as to how many recipes called for maple extract rather than maple syrup. I came across these cookies online, and they sounded fantastic. I have made Maple Brown Sugar cookies before, but this recipe is quite different. I love the addition of pecans, but I do admit that the original recipe called for dark brown sugar, but I used the golden brown sugar I had on hand.

These cookies require chilling time, so unless you have all day to make the cookies, it’s best to make the dough one day, then bake and ice the next day. Thankfully the dough takes only a few minutes to put together, a fact I was very thankful for as it was late when I made the dough. They bake up quickly as well, and my batch made just over three dozen. I let them cool and then iced them. I often cheat and make a simple glaze, but I did follow the recipe this time. My husband tried these cookies before they were glazed and said they were excellent. The glaze makes them even better!

Brown Sugar Maple Pecan Cookies
2-1/3 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 egg
1/3 cup pure maple syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon maple extract
1 cup chopped pecans

2 tablespoons butter
1/3 cup pure maple syrup
1 cup powdered sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt. In a large mixer bowl, beat the butter and brown sugar on medium until light. Add the egg and eat until combined. Add the maple syrup, vanilla, and maple extract and beat on medium until combined. Stop the mixer, add the flour mixture, and beat on low until almost combined. Add the chopped pecans and stir on low just until the dough comes together. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, or overnight.

Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

Allow the sough to sit at room temperature for 30 minutes before shaping. Shape the dough into 1-1/4” balls and place on the prepared baking sheets.

Bake for 11-13 minutes, until lightly browned along the edges. The cookies will be soft. Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

Once the cookies are cool, make the icing: in a small saucepan over low heat, melt the butter and maple syrup together, stirring occasionally. Once melted, remove from the heat and stir in the powdered sugar and salt. Drizzle the icing over the cooled cookies and allow the icing to set before serving.

No comments: