Wednesday, December 18, 2019

Cranberry Port Cookies: 12 Days of Cookies Day 9


It can be a challenge each year to find Christmas cookies that are new and different. I have found, though, that many folks make tried and true classic recipes for their Christmas cookie trays. One of my fondest memories of Christmas was when we got a tin of cookies from Grandma. I know she didn’t make different recipes, in fact I remember that her tins contained peanut butter cookies, chocolate chip cookies, and surprise cookies. Not fancy, but that’s what I looked forward to each year.

When I was choosing cranberry recipes this year, I came across this recipe in a compilation of Christmas cookies. They are kind of different, as they use pie crust as the basis of the cookie, but that’s ok. The filling is simple, and it cooled very quickly. I made the filling and the cut out the pastry rounds while the filling was in the refrigerator. These turned out well, so I should check out the other cookies in that compilation!

I halved this recipe, which is what is shown here. The original recipe called for double the pastry and using 4 rounds of pastry seemed excessive. You are supposed to cut 21 rounds from each piece of pastry, which I think is impossible. I got 18 rounds from each piece, and that made 18 cookies total. I also used every bit of the filling, so I felt like 18 was the right number. It feels like they didn’t seal, but I had no problem while they were baking. I made the icing and it is very thick, so I added a little vanilla and that helped.  These are really different and are an interesting addition to holiday baking.

Cranberry Port Cookies
2/3 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup port wine
1/8 cup water
1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Pie crust (for a double crust pie)
   
1 cup powdered sugar
1-1/2 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon light corn syrup
¼ teaspoon vanilla

In a small saucepan, combine the cranberries, sugar, port wine, water, lemon zest and juice, and the cinnamon. Heat on medium high until the mixture boils. Boil for 2 minutes and then remove from the heat. Transfer the mixture to a food processor and then process until chopped. Allow to cool completely.

Heat the oven to 375 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

Roll the dough about 1/16” thick. Using a 2-1/2-inch round cookie cutter, cut out 36 rounds. Place about 1 teaspoon of filling on half of the rounds and top with a plain round. Press around the edges with a fork to seal.

Bake for 14-16 minutes, until the cookies are golden brown. Allow to cool before icing.

Make the icing: in a small bowl whisk together the powdered sugar, water, corn syrup, and vanilla. The icing will be thick. Drizzle over the cooled cookies.     

Recipe from Taste of Home

No comments: