Friday, December 13, 2019

Peppermint Oreo Truffles: 12 Days of Cookies Day 7


This is a bit of an unusual recipe for me, these are no bake cookies/candies, and that’s a different approach for me. I don’t talk about this much, but my father retired multiple years ago, and he now makes candy. He is a chemist and he is very precise, so making candy is the perfect activity for him. If you look at his candy, it is perfect. Over time, his candies just get better. After making these candies, I think I need to work with my dad some more and pick up some tips.

I like the ease of these balls. I have never made something like this before, and I will be honest that I had some struggles in making these balls. The mixture that you make in the food processor took some work, and I had to stir the mixture several times. Eventually the mixture came together. I refrigerated the shaped balls, and perhaps putting them in the freezer would have been better.

White chocolate is finicky, and thankfully it melted with no issue. I typically add shortening to white chocolate, and I didn’t this time. As a result, the white chocolate was very thick. It was also warm, and when I added the Oreo balls the got very soft. Rolling in the peppermint was also a challenge, primarily because of the white chocolate. I ended up using 12 ounces of crushed peppermint and still ran out, so the last few have no crushed peppermints. Despite all of these challenges, the ones that turned out are very good, and they are a wonderful treat to make in advance.

Peppermint Oreo Truffles
36 Oreo cookies
8 ounces cream cheese
16 ounces white chocolate
1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
Crushed peppermints

Place the cream cheese and Oreos in a food processor and process until combined. You may need to stop and stir the mixture from time to time before the mixture is fully combined.

Shape the dough into 1” balls and place on a baking sheet covered with waxed paper or parchment. Freeze for 20 minutes or refrigerate for an hour.

Melt the white chocolate in the microwave, stirring every 30 seconds, until the white chocolate is smooth. Stir in the peppermint extract.

Dip the cold Oreo balls in the white chocolate and then roll in the crushed peppermints. Place the balls on a waxed paper or parchment-lined baking sheet. Allow the balls to set before serving. Store in the refrigerator.

Recipe from Dinner then Dessert

No comments: