Wednesday, December 11, 2019

Whipped Shortbread: 12 Days of Cookies Day 6


My husband is British, and we get a couple of British cooking magazines in an electronic format. Now typically, you look for Christmas cookie recipes in the November and December issues of the magazines. I saw this recipe and noticed that it was very simple to make. I am always a little bit behind, and while this was a recipe in the August issue, I didn’t read it until a little later.

Now this recipe did not start out as a Christmas cookie. I made them, and my husband said that they looked like the classic Christmas cookie that you get in the tin. Hmmm, ok. I had made them, and it was time to decorate them, and I wasn’t sure which way to turn. I didn’t want to dip them into chocolate, as they had in the magazine, so showed my husband a couple of different sprinkles that I had on hand. What did he pick? He picked the Christmas jimmies.

I added a simple glaze to the cookies so the jimmies would stick. Once adding the Christmas jimmies, which are red, green, and white, there
is nothing that these cookies could be other than a Christmas cookie. These cookies are simple, and the only issue is getting the right amount of milk added to the dough so that it can be piped. They are beautiful when they come out of the oven and taste like the perfect shortbread cookie. They are far superior to anything that comes in a tin, but store bought cookies do hold a place in my heart.

Whipped Shortbread
200 grams butter, room temperature
100 grams powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
250 grams flour
1-3 tablespoons milk

½ cup powdered sugar
1-3 teaspoons water
Christmas jimmies

Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

In a large mixer bowl, beat the butter and powdered sugar until fluffy. Add the vanilla and flour and beat until crumbly. Add 1 tablespoon milk and beat until the dough comes together. If the dough is too still, add additional milk until the dough is of piping consistency.

Place the dough into a piping bag and pipe swirls onto the prepared baking sheets.

Bake for 15 minutes, until lightly golden around the edges. Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

Once the cookies are cool, whisk together the powdered sugar and water to make a simple glaze. Brush the cookies with the glaze and sprinkle with Christmas jimmies.

Recipe from BBC Good Food

No comments: