Friday, February 28, 2020

Nutella Hazelnut Cookies


My workload this week has been very challenging and while everyone at work says it’s ok if I don’t bring cookies, it would be very strange not making cookies. I had planned to make a bar cookie this week, but I didn’t think I would have enough time. I got home from dinner the night I was going to bake, and it was already 6:30 or 7:00 and I still needed to write a letter of recommendation for a student. I decided to go with Plan B, because I always have Nutella.

I knew I had the ingredients for these cookies, but perhaps not enough hazelnuts. I figured that would be ok since only ½ cup of hazelnuts go into the batter. As I was dividing and conquering and make the dough one day and baked the next, I figured I could always pick up more hazelnuts the next day. In the end, I decided to just roll the cookies in powdered sugar, which is less fussy. This dough is so very soft, so it is critical to refrigerate the dough so that it has a chance to set up properly.

The dough came together quickly; the only extra time it took was to toast and chop the hazelnuts. When I was baking these cookies, they reminded me a lot of other cookies I’ve made in the past. I used to make a cookie with raspberry chocolate chips that you would melt down. It was the best cookie, but they stopped making that type of chips several years ago. These cookies, with Nutella, are equally as good. Ok, the powdered sugar is a little messy and you are at risk for having powdered sugar down your shirt. I think it is worth the risk.

Nutella Hazelnut Cookies
3 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
¼ cup butter, room temperature
1-1/3 cups sugar
1-¼ cups Nutella
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon instant espresso powder
1/3 cup milk
½ cup hazelnuts, toasted and finely chopped
Powdered sugar

In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside. In a large mixer bowl, beat the butter, sugar, and Nutella on medium until combined. Add the eggs, vanilla, and espresso powder and mix on medium to combine. With the mixer running on low, add the flour mixture alternatively with the milk, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. When the dough has almost come together, add the chopped hazelnuts and stir until the dough comes together. The dough will be very soft.

Remove the dough from the mixing bowl and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate overnight.

Heat the oven to 375 degrees. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats.

Shape the dough into 1-1/4” balls and roll in the powdered sugar. Place on the prepared baking sheets.

Bake for 10-15 minutes, until the cookies are soft in the middle but set on the edges. Allow the cookies to cook on the baking sheet for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

Recipe from Brown Eyed Baker

No comments: