Friday, March 6, 2020

Granola Biscotti


Most of the time, I get my recipes from Pinterest. I find that recipes that other bloggers have made are typically very reliable. I do have to say that sometimes my photos do not look like their photos, but there are many different factors at play. I had planned to bake ahead this week, but that did not happen. Instead of looking online, I decided I would try to find a recipe from the book that is always on my kitchen counter, Dorie’s Cookies.

I love cookbooks, especially those written by Dorie Greenspan, but I rarely use them anymore. In looking for a recipe (ideally one where I had all of the ingredients), I noticed that most of the recipes have you chill the dough for several hours. I know that helps so much, but when I am baking in an evening that is not very practical. I ended up selecting this recipe, originally titled Breakfast Biscotti. I often have granola for breakfast, so I have that on hand, and the remaining ingredients are standard (or substitutable).

Dorie’s recipes have a long introduction, and the main thing to take away from this recipe is if your granola has fruit in it, take that out as those fruits get hard while baking. Mine does, so I did take out the raisins. Some folks are not fans of biscotti, as it is hard, but I find homemade biscotti to be better. You do bake the cookies twice, so they are drier than your typical chocolate chip cookie. The granola adds interesting flavor, and make sure that you use granola that you like, i.e. the granola that you have on hand to eat at breakfast!

Granola Biscotti
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon baking soda
½ cup butter, room temperature
¾ cup sugar
¾ teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1/3 cup rolled oats
1 cup granola
¼ cup almonds, chopped
1/4 cup dried cranberries

Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and baking soda; set aside. In a large mixer bowl, beat the butter, sugar, and salt on medium for 2 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the oats. Turn off the mixer and add the flour mixture. Turn the mixer on and off, mixing until the flour is almost incorporated. Stir in the granola, almonds, and dried cranberries with a spatula.

Divide the dough into two halves. Shape each half into a rectangle roughly 2-inches by 12-inches. Leave some space between the rectangles, as the dough expands while baking.

Bake for 25 minutes, until cracked and lightly browned. Allow the cookies to rest for 20 minutes before proceeding.

After the cookies have rest, cut the cookies into ½” thick slices using a serrated knife. Place the cookies back on the baking sheet, cut side down, and bake for an additional 10 minutes. Turn the biscotti over and bake for 5 more minutes. Remove from the oven and allow the cookies to cool completely on a baking rack.

Recipe from Dorie’s Cookies by Dorie Greenspan

No comments: